Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove 'On My iPhone' group

When I go to Contacts > Groups I have 'All Contacts', 'On My iPhone', 'GMail.'

I am more than happy letting GMail handling my contacts over-the-air, how can I remove the 'On My iPhone' group?

Under Settings > Contacts, I only have GMail syncing so that 'On My iPhone' shouldn't be there.

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 1:42 PM

This usually means you are or were syncing contacts direct with a supported address book application on your computer via the iTunes sync process, which is selected under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes. Doing both duplicates the contacts on your iPhone. To get rid of the "On My iPhone" Group, make sure syncing contacts is not selected under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes followed by selecting Apply.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Select your Gmail Exchange account.

Turn Contacts off for over the air syncing.

You should be provided a warning message indicating this will remove all contacts downloaded from and being kept synchronized over the air with your Gmail online address book. You should also be provided a prompt to save these contacts locally on your iPhone. Decline this prompt.

Follow this by turning contacts back on for over the air syncing with your Gmail Exchange account on your iPhone. You should be provided a merge prompt to merge the "On My iPhone" contacts stored locally on your iPhone with your Gmail online address book. Select Merge.

This should get rid of all duplicates and the "On My iPhone" group.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2011 1:42 PM in response to lonelily

This usually means you are or were syncing contacts direct with a supported address book application on your computer via the iTunes sync process, which is selected under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes. Doing both duplicates the contacts on your iPhone. To get rid of the "On My iPhone" Group, make sure syncing contacts is not selected under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes followed by selecting Apply.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Select your Gmail Exchange account.

Turn Contacts off for over the air syncing.

You should be provided a warning message indicating this will remove all contacts downloaded from and being kept synchronized over the air with your Gmail online address book. You should also be provided a prompt to save these contacts locally on your iPhone. Decline this prompt.

Follow this by turning contacts back on for over the air syncing with your Gmail Exchange account on your iPhone. You should be provided a merge prompt to merge the "On My iPhone" contacts stored locally on your iPhone with your Gmail online address book. Select Merge.

This should get rid of all duplicates and the "On My iPhone" group.

How to remove 'On My iPhone' group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.