Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import Spotlight Comments with Image

Is there a way to import Spotlight Comments into Aperture at the same time I bring in the image?

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Long Live the Mac!

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 4:48 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2011 7:34 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

The only place I see for unstructured comments and notes is in the Captions Field. My thinking is that once I have text in the Captions, I can search on every instance of: "Dog" or "Cat" or "Uncle Frank" etc and create keywords accordingly. S, the unstructured text stays where it (in Captions field) is and stays unstructured but it suggest what key words I need to create and tells me which photos to apply them to.

The spotlight comments I'm interested in have about 30 keywords that appear over and over again spread out over roughly 900 to a 1,000 photos. I would happily do the same thing in LightRoom - if I could.

Feb 7, 2011 7:13 AM in response to Boris the Loud Listener

The easiest thing to do would be to start from scratch and write an import script that would take the files from the HD get the spotlight comments import the file into Aperture and write the spotlight comments into the caption field.

If for some reason you can't start from scratch because of prior work done in Aperture that you can't loose then its going to be a bit harder.

The biggest problem is that the actual master file location on the HD isn't available to you in a useable form. What I mean is, Aperture knows were the master is obviously, but the only two place you can get that information is either *File->Show in Finder* or *File->Locate->Referenced Files* nether one of which lends itself to being useable in a script.

Assuming that the current masters are referenced, because if they are managed I would stop right here, then the first thing I would try would be a script that went through the folders were the referenced masters are get each master in turn, get the comments and then have Aperture find that master and add the comments to it.

Not impossible, just involved.

good luck

Import Spotlight Comments with Image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.