Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 support "buffered/registered" ECC memory?

As the spec said, Mac Pro 4,1 & 5,1 use ECC unbuffered memory, but I really do want to know if "buffered/registered" ECC RAM will work on Mac Pro 5,1 with no problem?

I know "Unbuffered and Fully-Buffered" memory are 2 totally different stuff, and cannot use with the other side.

But what about "buffered/registered" memory? Could it use under "unbuffered" mother board like MacPro 4,1 & 5,1? If so, can they mix with others?

I've google and search around the internet but still didn't find the answer...

MacPro 12-Core @ 5870, OCZ 120gb SSD, 24"LED Cinema, 20" LCD Cinema * 2, Mac OS X (10.6.6), MacPro 3,1. MBP 5,1. MB Air 3,1. PowerMac G4 Cube. iBook G3 Clamshell

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 6:57 PM

Buffered and Registered and Fully Buffered and FBDIMM are the same stuff and will not work in a 2009 and later Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1
7 replies

Jan 2, 2014 6:27 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Mr. Bennet-Alder:

I think you are confusing DDR3 and DDR2 type of memory modules.

DDR2 PC2-8500 were the FBDIMMs that were used in the 2.1 and 3.1 Mac Pro versions (before 2009).

These were 800Mhz or 600Mhz versions. They used serial data channels from one DIMM to the next so the DIMMs had to be clocked very quickly to achieve speeds. Thus, the need for the fully buffered DIMM to pass the data from one DIMM to the next. Because they were clocked so quickly, they had to have heat sinks to bring the temperature down to the lower fan speeds Apple wanted to use. The heat sinks kept prices high. So did the fact that few servers adopted the FBDIMM technology. These also had ECC.

DDR3 PC3-10600 and DDR3 PC3-8500 were used in later MAC Pros, version 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

PC3-10600 is a 1333Mhz DIMM. PC3-8500 is a 1066Mhz DIMM.

Both of these are using ECC bits. Thus, there are actually 9 parallel data bits, one of which is for ECC.

Registered/buffered and Unregistered/unbuffered have a different meaning than FBDIMM.

It is better to use the Registered/Unregistered terminology to avoid confusion with FBDIMMs.

Registered DIMMs are sometimes referred to as RDIMMs and Unregistered DIMMs as UDIMMs.

Also one may see an R on the end of the PC3-8500 designation as in PC3-8500R to designate registered memory.

One thing that is for sure, the memory controller in the CPUs has to have uniform memory in the slots for each given processor. That is, you cannot mix registered memory in one slot with unregistered memory in another slot for the same processor. Apple indicates the computer will not boot in this case. This is because the signal timing differs to each and the memory controller in the CPU is only a homogeneous type.

Apple indicates that registered DIMMs are supported by Mac Pro version 5.1 - 2010 models.

They have not provided the same indication for Mac Pro version 4.1 - 2009 models.

WIth that said, firmware on version 4.1 macs may be able to be upgraded to support RDIMMs.

I suppose this updates the timing issue to suppor the RDIMMs.

Why is this significant -

Used registered DIMMs with ECC are easier to come by due to people upgrading their server computer to more denser memory capacity in the same slot.

Used unregistered DIMMs with ECC are harder to come by.

Accordingly, used registered DIMMs are less expensive on ebay.

My 2 cents.

Jan 2, 2014 6:39 PM in response to Lukcresdera

I strongly suggest that no one should buy DDR3 memory off eBay, unless it comes with a money-back guarantee that it will work in a Mac Pro. Buy from a Vendor who says:

"It works in your Mac,

or your money Back."

A lifetime replacement warranty is also standard from reputable Vendors.

--------

A lot has changed both in the memory business and in my understanding of this issue since I posted in 2011.

Today, most new DIMMs for the Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 (2009, 2010, and 2012 models) is Unbuffered. Unbuffered DIMMs in different sizes can often be freely mixed and are likely to work fine.

Today, only the largest sizes bought new (16GB) are Registered DIMMs. The Mac Pro models we are talking about have three-channel memory. Slots 1, 2 and 3 are independent of each other, but slot 4 is on the same channel as slot 3. If you wish to install 16GB DIMMs, these will be RDIMMs, and you can install only three of them (on a side), and they will not play nice with Unbuffered DIMMs.

Does Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 support "buffered/registered" ECC memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.