Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to change color of desktop folders from light blue to another color?

My computer was just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. In the change, the desktop icons I used to have turned into light blue folders, which look terrible on my light green desktop color, not enough contrast.
Please tell me how to change the light blue color of these desktop folders to some other color? thanks

IMac Intel, new in May 2006, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Leopard

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 12:37 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Feb 16, 2011 1:21 PM in response to yardsale In response to yardsale

Hi yardsale,

I was wanting to do this as well so I played around a bit. Not sure if this will help you though as this worked with Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Preview 5.0.3 but didn't work with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Preview 4.2.

I was able to change the folder color with Preview.
Basically, copy the icon and change it in Preview, then paste it back in. It takes longer to describe than to do it πŸ™‚

1) Get Info on the icon (like a folder)
2) Click on the icon to select it.
3) Edit (menu) > Copy
4) Open Preview
5) File > New From Clipboard
6) Tools > Adjust Color > Tint (and whatever else you want. Do this for all sizes)
7) Edit > Select All
8) Edit > Copy
9) Go back to the original Folder Get Info Window
10) Select the icon and Paste.

(You can also Save As to use the colored icon again)

I also couldn't change the Mail icon even after unlocking it and giving myself read/write access.
Folders and documents seemed fine.

Now my green folders have a green name and icon.

ivan

Feb 16, 2011 1:21 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Feb 7, 2011 6:05 AM in response to yardsale In response to yardsale

The OS software only changes the name of the folder to a color you select. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoHhtS169nM

If you want to change the name & folder color, try Colored Folders http://177aharba.deviantart.com/#/d156vuu

ο£Ώ Cheers, Tom πŸ˜‰

User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2011 6:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 13, 2011 2:47 PM in response to yardsale In response to yardsale

I was unable to find the answer how to change folder icon color on desktop. HOWEVER, I now know how to replace any folder icon or document icon on the desktop with another icon of your choice. The directions are a bit long, but they work. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to email those directions .

Feb 13, 2011 2:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 15, 2011 4:33 PM in response to yardsale In response to yardsale

I'd like to know an alternative way to change icons. Using the usual Get Info>copy/paste in upper left, I can change all apps except Mail. It just will not accept a new icon in any format I've tried (6 total formats, incl .icns). If you know another way, please tell! Thanks.

Feb 15, 2011 4:33 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Feb 16, 2011 1:21 PM in response to yardsale In response to yardsale

Hi yardsale,

I was wanting to do this as well so I played around a bit. Not sure if this will help you though as this worked with Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Preview 5.0.3 but didn't work with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Preview 4.2.

I was able to change the folder color with Preview.
Basically, copy the icon and change it in Preview, then paste it back in. It takes longer to describe than to do it πŸ™‚

1) Get Info on the icon (like a folder)
2) Click on the icon to select it.
3) Edit (menu) > Copy
4) Open Preview
6) Tools > Adjust Color > Tint (and whatever else you want. Do this for all sizes)
7) Edit > Select All
8) Edit > Copy

(You can also Save As to use the colored icon again)

I also couldn't change the Mail icon even after unlocking it and giving myself read/write access.
Folders and documents seemed fine.

Now my green folders have a green name and icon.

ivan

Feb 16, 2011 1:21 PM

Reply Helpful (8)

Sep 6, 2011 11:20 PM in response to Susan Hull In response to Susan Hull

Hi Susan, sorry there was a long delay before I got back to you. I had other computer problems. You said you would be interested in an alternative way to change desktop icons. Here is what worked for me:

You can, change folder icons one at a time. To do this, first find a file with an icon you'd like to use for the folder, select it, and choose File --> Get Info. Click on the icon in the Get Info window and choose Edit-->Copy.

Now select the folder you wish to change and choose File-->Get Info for it. Click on the folder icon and choose Edit-->Paste.

Your folder will now be visible with your chosen new icon πŸ™‚

Now select the folder you wish to change (Zippy on a folder above and below) and choose File-->Get Info for it. Click on the folder icon as shown below and choose Edit-->Paste.

Sep 6, 2011 11:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Jul 19, 2017 1:17 AM in response to ivan54 In response to ivan54

Ivan; your comment doesn't make sense

1) Get Info on the icon (like a folder)...What does "Like a Folder" Mean?

2) Click on the icon to select it. What Icon, the Folder you mentioned in step one?

3) Edit (menu) > Copy....There is no EDIT

4) Open Preview...................I stopped as I couldn't go any further.

7) Edit > Select All

8) Edit > Copy

Jul 19, 2017 1:17 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: yardsale

Question: How to change color of desktop folders from light blue to another color?