Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve RAID Admin Tools with new Mac Pro

Hi,

I have a new Mac Pro. I also have an old Xserve RAID.
If I add a Fibre Channel PCI Express Card to the new Mac Pro, is it possible to use the Xserve RAID Admin Tools (developed in java, but never updated since January 2007, with the 1.5.1 version) with the OSX 10.6 of the Mac Pro?

thank you for any explanation
marco

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 2:31 AM

4 replies

Feb 9, 2011 9:29 AM in response to mlore

Just to be clear - you NEED fibre channel connection to transfer data between the Xserve RAID and any machine. Data from the RAID is only transferred over fibre regardless of what it's hooked up to - new machine, old Xserve, Linux or Windows machine.

Ethernet connection is required to administrate and configure the RAID regardless of platform. The only difference is that the ethernet machine can easily be a different machine that the one the fibre is connected to - so you can connect the Xserve RAID to a MacPro but run RAID Admin from a Linux notebook if you want. This is important because it lets you keep the RAID box ethernet in a different IP range than the machine it's connected by fibre. So for example the Mac Pro the RAID is connected IP could be in a public space the RAID box itself can be on an internal 192.168 network so the world can't see it if you want it that way.

Also the ethernet only needs to be connected to set it up and then whenever you want to talk to the RAID box so ethernet only needs to be connected 1% of the time but fibre needs to be connected 100% of the time. I keep a small ether hub with all my admin-ed racked stuff plugged into it on the same IP range so I just connect a laptop when I want to admin my RAID, fibre switch, Promise box etc.

Hope that's clear,
=Tod

Xserve RAID Admin Tools with new Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.