Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guitar Channel Strip with Playback

Hi

Using the 8 track playback facility for backing tracks in each patch and adding extra instruments in the channel strips for vocals, bass, Keys and guitar (or any combination of).

This works well as you can play the backing track and set the levels for each instrument in the channel strip.

However, I am then limited to a single guitar effect (as I'm using one of the Mainstage amps) and cannot change from distorted to clean in the song as moving patches would stop the backing track.

Is there a working solution to this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 6:27 AM

16 replies

Feb 8, 2011 4:29 AM in response to DEVO-UK

Hi there

If I'm reading you correctly, I think you may have misinterpreted how to set this up.

Basically, what you should do is use one 'set' for each song. At the set level, you then add a software instrument channel strip for that song's backing track (are you just using one backing track with eg bass and drums mixed together, or have you separated them? If the latter, you just add one SI strip for drums, another for bass, another for keys etc - all in the same 'set').

Within each set,you can then add a number of different patches for your different guitar sounds. You can then move between these patches without your backing track stopping. When you want to play the next song, move onto the next set.

Feb 8, 2011 9:29 AM in response to littleeden

I'm using the 8 track playback player, with drums in Ch 1, bass in Ch 2, synth in Ch 3, etc

I'm then adding channel strips for the live instruments adjacent to this.

What you say makes sense, but I cannot establish how to get the 8 track playback facility at set level. I can get it at song and patch level.

It doesn't work when I set it at song level and then move down a patch. Well it stops the backing tracks.

Any ideas?

Feb 8, 2011 4:05 PM in response to DEVO-UK

Hi

Ok, I'm up to speed now. When you say '8 track playback player', I assume you mean the 8 backing track mixer template?

What I'm referring to is using a different template, which I think would work better for you. Try opening a new concert. When MS offers you templates, click the 'guitar rigs' button, then select 'Single amp & one backing track'.

You'll see a folder labelled 'my song' with a patch underneath it. Click on the folder, to access the set level settings. Now try adding channel strips here (as many as you need for all your backing tracks - bass, drums, keys etc), and load up a playback plug-in in each one. Now, click on the gear icon, and add as many patches as you need for your guitar sounds in that song.

Add new channel strips for other live instruments in each patch (eg, if you need a vocal channel, remember you add it to each patch within a set).

Once you've done that set up for your first song, click the gear icon again, and add a new set, and repeat for each subsequent song (sets = songs).

You will now be able to start playback for each song, and switch between patches without stopping playback.

This might seem like a pain, considering you've already done your set up, so somebody else might be able to point you to a simpler solution.

Message was edited by: littleeden

Feb 9, 2011 10:29 AM in response to DEVO-UK

No, no - never use the 'C' word 😉

Mainstage does just what you want it to - I've been using it in exactly this way for gigs for over two years.

All you have to do is this: in each set, open each of your playback plug-ins (double click on the button and you bring up the playback interface), look in the bottom right corner, and you'll see a window labelled 'Group'. Set the same group for each playback within a set - eg, for set/song 1, put each instance of playback to A, for set 2, put each one to B etc. Now all backing tracks for a song will play together.

Three things to remember -
1 it's important to choose a different group letter for different sets

2 put all the playbacks within each set to the same group letter

3 when bouncing, ensure all your stems start from the same place - eg, if you have a keyboard line that doesn't come in till the second verse, you still need to bounce it from bar 1 (if that's were you've bounced all the other stems from).

Feb 9, 2011 2:56 PM in response to littleeden

You

Are

A

Genius

Thank you so much. Very very helpful. Started to consider guitar rig 4 as an option, but your solution works. I knew about the bouncing issues as I've been using Mainstage for a couple of years with the 8 track playback facility, but just needed to change the guitar feel in certain tracks, so that's really helpful.

Feb 21, 2011 3:42 AM in response to Doye

OK, off the top of my head, what I'd suggest is that you lay out your backings sequentially in Logic and bounce them all from the start - ie so you'd lay all your drum tracks end to end, and bounce them as one file, then repeat for your other backing instruments. Note that even if one of the songs didn't feature a particular instrument, you would still have to include the 'space' where it isn't playing in the bounce.

Then, create a set containing all the playback channel strips you need, and load the bounced files into them. Remember to select the same group for each playback plug-in to get them to all play together (as described above).

Now within that set, create as many patches as you need for your live instruments, and within each patch add as many channels as you need for your instruments. Now set up the sound for each instrument within the patch as required. Note that you may want multiple patches to correspond with each song if you need to change the instrument sounds during the song.

Now you will be able to play the backings so that they run together, while switching between patches to get your different instrument sounds for each song without stopping playback.

There you go - there may be an easier way of doing this, but I can't think of it at the moment, so if anyone else out there can, please jump in.

Feb 23, 2011 4:57 AM in response to littleeden

There's a problem with this solution, as Mainstage does not accept tempo changes. So if you're lining all eight songs in one logic track, they will all have a differtent tempo which cannot be transferred in audio into the playback facility.
Sorry to be a killjoy, but didn't want you wasting all your time to find this out.

Guitar Channel Strip with Playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.