11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2011 9:39 AM by Thomas Emmerich
Carlos F. Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
When importing images into Aperture 3.1.1 from my new D7000, after the import is completed I don't get the option "eject and erase card?", as it happened when importing from D80. So all images remain in the card after the import is through and I have to erase them manually from the camera. No big deal but it is not convenient for me.
With the D7000 I am getting only this option: *Import complete* 7 items have been imported into project named "2011-1" OK button.
"Resetting al warnings" in Preferences doesn't change the message.
Am I missing some options either from the camera or from Aperture, or is it the way it goes?
Thank you.

Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • 1. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Keith Barkley Level 5 Level 5 (5,255 points)
    I consider this a feature not a bug. I prefer to make sure that the import went smoothly before deleting from the camera.
  • 2. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,475 points)
    It is never advisable to delete from the memory card on the computer -- you should wait and reformat in the camera.

Nevertheless, if you are determined, get a memory card reader, and you will get the choice.

Ernie
  • 3. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Sheryl Kingstone Level 3 Level 3 (635 points)
    Yes. I have the d7000 also. If you use a card reader, you will get the message eject and erase. However, I agree. Don't do it. Always let the camera erase pics or reformat card. Never let the computer do it.
  • 4. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Carlos F. Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I don't argue about the procedure to delete. It makes sense what you say.
    But with the D80 I could delete from the camera through the computer and with the D7000 I can't.
    I tried with a memory card reader, and yes, I get the choices I had when importing from the D80.
    It seems to me that the D7000 is preventing the option and it may be a good prevention.
    Thank you Ernie.
  • 5. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    minimejdh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Why shouldn't you let the computer do the erasing? I have done it in my D70. I have a D7000 on its way. Thanks.
    P.S. I was getting a "CHA" error message on the CF card in the D70 and I am wondering if my letting the computer do the deletions has anything to do with it.
  • 6. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,765 points)
    Never, ever let your computer erase data without you first checking that the data is safe. Specifically never use perture (or any other app) to delete the photos from your Camera Card. Disconnect the camera, check the transfer has gone correctly and then use your Camera to Reformat the Card. This has three advantages:

1. You know your data is safe - because you've taken the time to check it.
    2. Reformatting the card is much, much faster - takes a couple of seconds
    3. Reformatting also refreshes the Directory Structure on the Card, helping prevent issues with the card and prolonging its life.

Regards

TD
  • 7. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (990 points)
    Why shouldn't you let the computer do the erasing?

Do you know exactly what your computer is doing when it erases the files? Will it do exactly what your camera is expecting if it were deleting them? Probably not.

Mac OS likes to put things in the trash when you delete them, and then your flash card would then not actually regain any space. Rather it would have new directories and new files for managing the trash.

In short, your camera will make sure the card is exactly like it wants it when it formats it.

nathan
  • 8. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Thanks. Just to double-check. Sometimes I may not want to import all the pictures on my card; only some of them to work on processing. In this case, I do not want to reformat the card yet.
    You are saying, even in this case, I should select and delete the individual photo files in the camera and not through the computer or Aperture correct?
  • 9. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Didn't realize that Mac OS through Aperture would not delete actual file from card or leave stuff behind on the card. I suppose that is why reformatting is important after a while (done in camera).
  • 10. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,765 points)
    I would leave them on the card until I was ready to reformat it. Cards are inexpensive.

Regards

TD
  • 11. Re: Aperture 3.1.1 and D7000
    Thomas Emmerich Level 4 Level 4 (3,485 points)
    There are two common protocols used to connect digital cameras to your computer. The D7000 is apparently using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). This protocol is abstracted from the actual file structure on the flash card so the computer does not have access to delete files. It only provides the communication necessary to copy the files from the camera.

The other protocol is called Mass Storage Class (MSC). Using this protocol the computer has full access to the files on the flash card.

With PTP, Aperture will not be able to delete images on the flash card and therefore won't provide the option. When you put the card in a card reader, MSC is used and all options are available.

Some cameras are able to switch between the two modes. Check your manual or peruse the camera's menus to see if it can be changed.