Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture won't recognise SD card

Sometimes, Aperture fails to recognise my SD card and so I can't import any images. The card appears fine in the Finder, but not in Aperture. Restarting Aperture doesn't help, but sometimes it does just eventually appear. It's really annoying! Any idea why or how to address this?

Imac 27" Intel i7 and 15" Intel 2.5 i5 Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 10:36 AM

7 replies

May 22, 2011 3:23 PM in response to Cartoonguy

I have got the same trouble.

Sometimes it works fine: Aperture recognises my sd card in 10 seconds after I inserted it.

But usualy it takes 2 minutes or more.

Sometimes it can help, if you unmount and insert the sd card again.

The simpliest way is to drag images into Aperture, but if you want to import only a part of images from the sd card, or you have already imported some of images and don't want import all images again, you lose 😟

And, if I import images of many different days into different projects, Aperture can not delete all of imported images at the end.

It's uncool.

Aug 18, 2011 7:28 PM in response to Cartoonguy

IMO it is a very bad idea to let Aperture or any other images management app have direct access to one's not-yet-backed-up originals. Sometimes there are just "anomalies" such as you are experiencing, but worse things can happen.

Suggested workflow steps:

• Use a FW card reader or MBP slot to copy to a file folder on the SSD or hard drive. With fast camera cards copy times are quick, but cheap slow cards can slow this step down a lot.

• Eject and physically disconnect the card reader.

• Back up that file folder on external drive(s).

• Only after backup is complete and verified, reformat the camera card in-camera.

• Import images into Aperture from the file folder on the SSD or hard drive.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Aperture won't recognise SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.