Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse only moving horizontally

My magic mouse keeps acting up and only wants to move from side to side. After moving the mouse around in a circle motion for a couple seconds it starts working correctly again. What could be causing this issue? Both the Magic Mouse and the iMac are less than a year old and the problem just started yesterday. I looked at my battery life and it is at 63%, so that shouldn't be the issue. Thanks for any help.

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 12:45 PM

Try a lens brush on the lens of the laser.
3 replies

May 29, 2012 4:47 PM in response to atarian02

I have a similar situation. My Magic Mouse will perform all functions BUT move side to side. It worked fine a couple of days ago. The rechargeable batteries are fresh (reading 100%), and are identical to the batteries I've been using. I've cleaned the lenses with air and a cloth, but it doesn't fix it. I connected to a second Magic Mouse, and it worked fine. If I guide my mouse by moving my finger over the lenses it works, but no other surface will allow it ot move side to side. Any suggestions?

Magic Mouse only moving horizontally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.