Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot override logout after 20 mins of inactivity

Here's an odd one.
I have a couple of iMacs that have the option to "logout after 20 mins of activity" ticked in security preferences.
I don't want this to happen, so as an administrator I can uncheck the option and click the padlock icon to prevent changes.
However, even with the option unchecked, they'll still log out after 20 mins, and when I revisit the security preferences page again, the option will be ticked again.

Any clues, anyone?

Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac 4Gb, Black MacBook 2Gb, AEBS, plethora of iPods & iPhones...

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 1:06 PM

click the padlock icon to prevent changes.

That's stopping the change from being recorded. If you still want to click it, switch to another pane first.

(56686)
3 replies

Feb 8, 2011 1:34 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried clicking the padlock and also leaving it alone.
The result is always the same. If I uncheck the the logout option, or change the number of minutes, *it always returns to the same settings when I navigate away from the security preferences*, and then return to them.
There is no "save settings" option, and other checkboxes, like the "require password" option IS retained if I check it.

It's just the automatic logout setting.

This is really frustrating. I didn't setup these particular Macs.
Is there another setting elsewhere that could be overriding this?
Or a preference file to delete?

I really don't understand what's going on.
Any help much appreciated.

Cannot override logout after 20 mins of inactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.