3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 7:13 AM by snutzman
Jarndyce Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Here's an odd one.
I have a couple of iMacs that have the option to "logout after 20 mins of activity" ticked in security preferences.
I don't want this to happen, so as an administrator I can uncheck the option and click the padlock icon to prevent changes.
However, even with the option unchecked, they'll still log out after 20 mins, and when I revisit the security preferences page again, the option will be ticked again.

Any clues, anyone?

Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac 4Gb, Black MacBook 2Gb, AEBS, plethora of iPods & iPhones...
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (285,460 points)
    click the padlock icon to prevent changes.

That's stopping the change from being recorded. If you still want to click it, switch to another pane first.

(56686)
  • Jarndyce Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Thanks for the reply, but I've tried clicking the padlock and also leaving it alone.
    The result is always the same. If I uncheck the the logout option, or change the number of minutes, *it always returns to the same settings when I navigate away from the security preferences*, and then return to them.
    There is no "save settings" option, and other checkboxes, like the "require password" option IS retained if I check it.

It's just the automatic logout setting.

This is really frustrating. I didn't setup these particular Macs.
    Is there another setting elsewhere that could be overriding this?
    Or a preference file to delete?

I really don't understand what's going on.
    Any help much appreciated.
  • snutzman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Did you ever get a fix for your inability to change the auto logout setting? We are having the same problem and cannot find a fix. Let me know if you were able to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Sean