Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone4 battery icon misreporting actual charge

When I plug in the phone to the wall charger sometimes the fully charged icon will appear even though the battery is not fully charged. Say the battery level is at 5% and I plug it in, the fully charged icon will appear. Sometimes it will go away after a couple of minutes, sometimes it will stay for a longer period of time. Also, when the phone is charging sometimes it will report that it is 100% charged incorrectly. What I mean is that I will look at the phone, it will say 96% and then a second later it will report 100%. I'll wait a little while and it will then change to 97%. Has this happened to anyone else and do you think this is hardware or software? I bought the phone when it first came out, have it in a case all along and haven't dropped it. Should I schedule a call with a Apple tech since I have no Genius bars around me?

Mac Mini Intel 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 5:42 PM

3 replies

Feb 7, 2011 6:06 PM in response to Lessandro

first thing I would try is letting the phone completely drain down to nothing so the phone turns off that way the battery can recalibrate if that doesn't help you can try a reboot or a restore from backup or a restore as new and if none of that works you can take the phone into a genius for a possible replacement

Feb 8, 2011 11:02 AM in response to sn4p2k

I always let the battery die completely, which means every 2 days I charge it. It still gives me this error even after that and I always give it a full charge. Once it was at 96% and the full charge icon wouldn't go away even after a power cycle and a hard reboot. I haven't tried a restore from backup or restore from new yet.

iPhone4 battery icon misreporting actual charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.