Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall/reinstall- external drive

I am dangerously close to running out of room on my internal drive. I want to uninstall LE from my internal drive, an reinstall it with the library on my 1TB FW800 external drive.

Two questions:

1) I'm a little nervous about how to go about this. Should I just delete LE completely an then reinstall from the original DVD. I have upgraded one time since buying it originally, so I have both discs. Is the custom install pretty easy to follow.

2) Is anyone running the libraries from an external drive? Will a FW800 drive be able to handle it?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 2.2 ghz core duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 5:28 PM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2011 10:34 PM in response to Murahachibu

This is not possible.

Logic must be installed on your system HD in the applications folder. You can, however, install Apple Loops or other additional content on an external drive.
By all means, record your audio files to the external drive. I guess you will have pretty much space on your internal HD once you have moved all the user data (iTunes Library, iPhoto Library, Movies, Downloads etc.) to the external. Applications, however, should remain on the internal drive.

Fox

Feb 10, 2011 2:08 PM in response to Foxboy71

Thanks for your help on this and the other problem I was having. I have a couple of questions about the additional content that I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) I have a feeling that in the past I was accidentally erased some of the LE samples when working on projects. Is there a way to reinstall the library only from my LE disc just be sure I still have all of the content?

2) I would like to move the Apple loops to my external drive as you have suggested. Is there an easy way to do this.

Thanks again for all of your help! I REALLY appreciate it!

Feb 10, 2011 10:38 PM in response to Murahachibu

1) I have a feeling that in the past I was accidentally erased

O my god! I hope you weren't! 😉
Well, you can always reinstall the content from the DVD, can't you? Or, if you have time machine, you should be able to recover files from there.

2) I would like to move the Apple loops to my external drive as you have suggested. Is there an easy way to do this.

I never tried it with the basic Loops that come with Garageband / Logic Express, but i have done it with the Jampacks Loops without problems. Here's how to do it:

You could try to move the whole folder where the basic loops are stored: Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for Garageband.
1. Move this folder (The "Apple Loops for Garageband" or the wholw parent folder "Apple") to the external drive.
2. In Logic, open the external drive in the Finder and drag & drop the new folder over the Loop Browser. This will enter the new Loops location to the Loops index.

Please tell me if this works for you. If it doesn't, just move the folder back to it's original position and re-index the loops. Should be a cakewalk.

Fox

Uninstall/reinstall- external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.