Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting to .MP4 H.264 better than .MOV H.264?

Hi,

I did some tests and it seems exporting to an .MP4 file using H.264 looks sharper and clearer than exporting to a .MOV file using the same codec and bit rate. The file size is almost exact as well. How is this possible? Shouldn't they look close to identical? It also took longer to export to the .MP4 file with my processor working harder. Interesting. Anyone have any idea why this is?

I think I might export to .MP4 from now on...

Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.6), 12GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 5:56 AM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2011 6:15 AM in response to IlMolto

Ok I think I found what I was doing different in the settings.

When I exported to a .MOV file, I unticked Frame Reordering.

When I exported to a .MP4 file, there was no option to choose frame reordering, but an option to choose to restrict profiles to either Main, Baseline or both. I left it on Main.

Could this be why the .MP4 file looked better?

Feb 9, 2011 6:34 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I think it was because I had deselected Frame Reordering in the QuickTime Movie export. I did another test with Frame Reordering selected and I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Which makes me think using Main Profile is like using frame reordering. The video is going straight to YouTube and it is recommended by YouTube to keep Frame Reordering unchecked. So I need to be sure before I upload it.

I did a Google search and found this page:

http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/h264-profiles-and-levels/

What are B slices? Are these the bidirectional frames that is used when frame reordering?

Oct 17, 2011 10:04 PM in response to IlMolto

I think I found what you're after, trying to export an mp4, with h264 encoding (iMovie '11)

Share - Export using quicktime

Export: Movie to MPEG-4

(Options ...)

File Format: MP4 (as opposed to "MP4 (ISMA)" which will be selected by default)

Video Format: H.264 is now available

Seems like a lot of steps, for what I would have expected to be a common use-case ....

HTH

Nick

Exporting to .MP4 H.264 better than .MOV H.264?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.