Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon cell phone booster?

New iPhone Verizon, all great. Good reception blah blah blah, except in my office 0-1 bars. 20 feet out of my office, 2 bars consistently (ATT same or worse). Just bad luck that my office is kinda dead.
Is anyone familiar with the Cell phone signal amplifiers/boosters that work with Verizon, and is there any reason to think it would not work with the iPhone? I spend a lot of time at the office and would like to improve the reception there.

thanks

roger

MP Pro 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 9:00 AM

17 replies

Feb 9, 2011 4:10 PM in response to rrodby

You might try one of the midrange cell phone extenders at SolidSignal.com. I have an inexpensive one and it offered me no help. I hear the more you spend the better your results.

I have the same problem more so with data than phone signal. I can pretty much always send and receive calls but not always data. I haven't gotten up my financial nerve to invest in another extender. Guess this is my excuse not to "play" with my new phone at work 🙂

Let us know what you decide to do. I am sure there will more of us out there in the coming days.

--Mickey

Feb 9, 2011 4:20 PM in response to cmalberto

not "play with phone at work", are you serious?

there seem to be two types , those that work through the internet, and those that work by putting an antenna in a place where reception is better. that antenna then is hooked via coaxial cable to another unit that is plugged in the wall and serves as the broadcaster. I ordered the later type as it will boost anything it gets (at least ATT and Verizon) and there are a bunch of us both ATT and Verizon that cannot get a signal in our office area, so hopefully this will help a bunch of us

http://www.wi-ex.com/YX540.aspx

I'll report back

roger

Feb 14, 2011 2:16 PM in response to rrodby

I got it, easy to set up (nothing really), and it works. Here are the facts: in my office before the unit I got 0-1 bars, usually 0 bars. There is a window 15 feet from me, and when I am right at that window I can call, getting 2 bars, so the receiver (an antenna in a box) is attached to that window (stuck to the window with the attached suction cups) only 15 feet from me. The receiver send signals to the booster transmitter via coaxial cable (I got the higher upgrade cable by suggestion of the company, although I kinda doubt it mattered, as it runs only 10 feet). The transmitter is also about 15 feet away from me (different direction from the antenna) . The path from the transmitter to my office goes through a wall. RIGHT next to the transmitter I get 4-5 bars. Now in my office 15 feet and one wall away I get 2-3 bars, rarely 1. As I walk down the hall to a partner's office, maybe 25 feet and 3 walls away I get 1 bar. So while it works, you cannot expect it to send it through too many walls or I suspect floors. The company told me that starting with only 2 bars was kind of risky, unclear how this would work (walking down the hall and testing) if I had 4 bars at the window receiver. Clearly this works for me: boosting a weak signal not too far. So this is working perfectly for my specific needs

roger

Feb 16, 2011 1:06 PM in response to Matthew Smith

well I got the Verizon internet based one made by Samsung but sold through verizon.com to test out, what a moron I was not going with it in the first place. It sits in my office, and it has a 20 foot cable to extend the GPS sensor by a window, i just put it up through the drop ceiling and fed it to the window.

Thanks for support.

5 bars!

roger

Verizon cell phone booster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.