Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office for Mac 2011 - Visual Basic

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good place to get Visual Basic tutorials for Office 2011. I have zero experience in Visual Basic, and limited experience with formulas, tables, lists, and Pivot Tables, so the tutorials should be beginner-friendly.

What I'm looking to use it for is automatically generating spreadsheets with four or five tabs using one outside data feed (.csv uploading) and five or six formulas of my own design.

I've been using lynda.com to learn some technologies and their tutorials are very easy to understand and thorough. Unfortunately, they don't have anything specific about Visual Basic.

Any guidance from the extremely helpful Apple community would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Macbook Pro Late 2008, Macbook Air 11", Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 10:46 AM

12 replies

Feb 9, 2011 2:38 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks for the response. I was hoping for a tutorial along the lines of the lynda.com tutorials rather than just a help menu or forum section.

You have to sift through a lot of irrelevant or illegible material to get to what you're looking for in a help menu or forum section. I was hoping that there was a website (free or pay) that had good tutorials for a beginner in VB.

Feb 9, 2011 2:51 PM in response to jamevelyn

At the risk of putting words in baltwo's mouth, I think the intent was for you to ask for tutorial references on the Microsoft forums or on other Microsoft reference sites, Office being a Microsoft product.

Anyway, here's one place to start:

Automate tasks with Visual Basic macros

I haven't found anything further specific to Office 2011, but perhaps someone in the Microsoft forums would have other suggestions.

Regards.

Feb 10, 2011 5:23 AM in response to jamevelyn

what's the point of responding just to tell someone they're to go somewhere else?

That's really obvious in my opinion. As the chances of getting detailed help on non-Apple products here can be very slim, it can be valuable to point posters to the support forums run by the makers of the product they are using. It's surprising how many never think of going there until that is suggested.

Feb 10, 2011 7:08 AM in response to jamevelyn

jamevelyn wrote:
I get that there's a right place for questions, but what's the point of responding just to tell someone they're to go somewhere else? You could always ignore the question.

Did you know about both the Microsoft forums and the Office for Mac Help site? It's possible that you did, but many people don't know that other forums and resources exist that might be more directly applicable to the question being asked, so posting a reference to those is often of great help.

Regards.

Feb 10, 2011 8:46 PM in response to varjak paw

I was aware of both the help menu and the help forums. I had gone through the tutorial you linked to previously (got there from Excel help) but it had a Word table generation tutorial, so it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I recognize the increased effectiveness and decreased clutter of putting questions in the right place, but I wasn't exactly asking a help menu type question. I mentioned a location of tutorials that I'd found helpful for other topics and that many people are familiar with, hoping to find a similarly structured tutorial for this topic.

In my opinion, it's at least equally irrelevant to suggest a location that is not directly related to the question as it is to ask a question about a software made by another company. And way more condescending.

@Dimaxum: I, too, am familiar with this up and coming technology of internet perusal called google.

Office for Mac 2011 - Visual Basic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.