Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Play a .wav file sent from my Exchange server

I have the iPhone from Verizon and cannot play a .wav file when its in my inbox.
I get the message This move format is not supported. Does anyone have a fix?

iOS 4

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 5:06 PM

13 replies

Feb 9, 2011 5:17 PM in response to bigdogtaz2000

A .wav file is a non open standards, closed/proprietary Microsoft format.

Copied from this link.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Mail attachment support
Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

There is at least one 3rd party app available via the iTunes app store that allows for playing such a file on your iPhone. Check OPlayer via the iTunes app store.

Aug 10, 2011 12:26 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I finally figured it out, I too receive voicemails to my desk phone at work as .WAV attachments and lately I had the same problem that I cannot play them any more.

So here is the trick: Seems like the temporary area for Safari and the email attachments is the same so go to Settings->Safari then Clear Cache/Cookies/History

After this your .WAV attachments will again play with a charm.

Mar 10, 2014 5:44 PM in response to Garrett1045

This is a response to an old topic; however, my advice may help someone else.

I have an Iphone 5, was using GMAIL app. Couldn't get the .WAV to open quick time player (something I may research next).

Instead I used the mail app that comes with the Iphone. Simply clicked the .wav attachment and it opened it in quicktime player and played flawlessly.

Hope that lends some help to others.

Cannot Play a .wav file sent from my Exchange server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.