Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard disk not showing up on desktop/ resolving alias...

Wondering if anyone can help...

My iTunes library is stored on an external 1TB Iomega hard disk. The hard disk is connected to my airport extreme base station. The airport extreme base station communicates wirelessly to my macbook pro.

In my finder preferences I have ticked all the boxes in relation to what should show up on my desktop (including Hard disks, External disks and Connected servers).

However whenever I restart my macbook pro, the external hard disk (containing my iTunes library) does not show up on the desktop. And if I accidentally open up iTunes, then iTunes automatically restores the location of my iTunes Media Folder to its original default position (ie on my macbook pro, rather than on my external hard disk).

In order to prevent this happening: I have to open a finder window (before I open iTunes) and then navigate to my external hard disk via the "shared" section (on the left hand side of the finder window): and then I click on my airport extreme base station icon and then I click on my external iTunes folder icon.

And when I do this I get the following message in a window:
“connecting to server: resolving alias to… (my itunes folder on the external disk).”

Anyone know how I can have the external hard disk automatically mount onto my desktop (and thereby bypass the need for several click-thru’s via the finder window)?

Message was edited by: Ian Sen

macbook pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core i5, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 11:17 AM

Ian Sen wrote:
I get the following message in a window:
“connecting to server: resolving alias to… (my itunes folder on the external disk).”

On the chance that your Mac has a phantom folder in its Volumes folder, with that external drive not mounted, invoke the Finder menu option Go > Go to Folder. Enter "/Volumes" (without the quotes) in the field and click "Go". In the resulting window if you see anything with a name that resembles your external drive, trash it.

Anyone know how I can have the external hard disk automatically mount onto my desktop (and thereby bypass the need for several click-thru’s via the finder window)?

Once you're able to mount that external drive, open the Accounts panel of System Preferences and click on the lock in the corner to authenticate if needed. Select your account on the left, then the "Login Items" tab. Drag the mounted disk icon into the window then close System Preferences. That disk should now mount when you log in. A Finder window will open, but you can close that manually. If that bothers you sufficiently, if you search these discussion groups you may be able to find threads that discuss how to work around that.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2011 11:17 AM in response to Ian Sen

Ian Sen wrote:
I get the following message in a window:

On the chance that your Mac has a phantom folder in its Volumes folder, with that external drive not mounted, invoke the Finder menu option Go > Go to Folder. Enter "/Volumes" (without the quotes) in the field and click "Go". In the resulting window if you see anything with a name that resembles your external drive, trash it.

Once you're able to mount that external drive, open the Accounts panel of System Preferences and click on the lock in the corner to authenticate if needed. Select your account on the left, then the "Login Items" tab. Drag the mounted disk icon into the window then close System Preferences. That disk should now mount when you log in. A Finder window will open, but you can close that manually. If that bothers you sufficiently, if you search these discussion groups you may be able to find threads that discuss how to work around that.

external hard disk not showing up on desktop/ resolving alias...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.