Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to a PCL printer via an ethernet USB print server

I have an HP 1200 printer conneted via USB to an ethernet print server (Belkin F1UP0301). This is the only Mac in an otherwise all Windows home network.

I was able to install HPIJS to get the printer to work via a direct USB connection (as described at http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosxhpijs), but now would like to access it via ip. In windows, you simply add a tcp port and add the driver and your off to the races. I've tried to add a new printer on the mac with the IPP option, entered the ip address of the print server (with and without the specific reference to port 9100), and the HPIJS driver for the printer but I can never connect to the printer. Any ideas? This is a Belkin F1UP0301. Its a 2 port server, but this is the only attached device. Specific addressing is 192.168.1.99 and port 9100.

TIA

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Windows networks

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 12:55 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2011 6:27 PM in response to Tommy18

port 515 means protocol IP > LPD. LPD is specified to have a unique queue name (sometimes called port name). Page 31 of the belkin manual says that USB port #1 has queue name of "lp1" and USB port #2 has queue name of "lp2." Make sure you enter the appropriate queue name when you add the printer.

If you were to use IP > HP jetdirect, USB #1 = 9100 and USB #2 = 9101.

Connecting to a PCL printer via an ethernet USB print server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.