Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport signal strength

I have a white 2006 MacBook which, until this week, has maintained a good wifi signal throughout my apartment.

Suddenly however the wifi signal strength seems to have diminished so that I'm only able to connect to the internet when in the same room as the router.

Using iStumbler the signal strength, when close to the router is 35%. Take the laptop into my bedroom (for instance) and it decreases to the point that the airport no longer sees the network.

My partner has a similar laptop (perhaps 6 months newer) and the signal strength reads 55% when close to the router - allowing network connection throughout the apartment.

Is it possible that the Airport card in my MacBook is on it's last legs? Does receptivity decrease with age? Or could I be looking at another solution?

Cheers
Duane

MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 1:53 PM

7 replies

Feb 10, 2011 4:56 PM in response to Duane Morrison

Take a look at what you just typed...

55% strength when you are near the router. If you are near a router it should be showing 90%+ for strength. I would look into picking up a new router.

Before you go out looking for a new router, try power cycling the router you have... Just unplug it for about minute then plug it back in and let it boot up.

Feb 11, 2011 10:31 AM in response to Duane Morrison

May I suggest a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme. I have been using a Time Capsule for over two years now and it has been rock solid for my router duties.

I actually have a somewhat big setup. Time Capsule in the half basement, airport expresses in the living room and one in the garage. I have the two expresses set as access points so that my wifi covers every corner of my home and a lot of the front and back yard as well. (Super easy to set up all of it... The on screen setup instructions are very easy to follow)

I also have....
3 apple Tvs (2 wired one wireless) 2 macbooks (wireless), 2 win laptops (wireless), a wireless printer, 2 Win PCs (wired), 2 iMacs (wired) a NAS server for video (wired)... All on the network that my time capsule runs. I have never had a lick of trouble from any of them.

Feb 12, 2011 5:55 PM in response to Duane Morrison

Thanks for the advice. I will look into that setup potentially...

Though the more I investigate, I'm inclined to think it's a problem with the Airport/MacBook.

Our household also has 2 iPhones and an iPad (plus the 2nd MacBook - which, when re-testing with iStumbler is giving a signal strength reading of 75% now...). These are all fine throughout the apartment.

My MacBook never seems to get a reading above 35%.

This system has been operational for a good 5 years now without any probs (I've never looked into wireless signal strength cos it's never been an issue) and seems to have only just sprung up.

Yep it COULD be the router, but my MacBook seems to be the only piece of equipment having issues of note.

Could it be the Airport card?

Cheers
D

Feb 12, 2011 5:58 PM in response to Duane Morrison

There is always a chance that it is the airport card. One thing you might want to consider... Buy a Time Capsule or a Airport Extreme and set it up and try it out. If that makes everything run without problems, you have found the issue. If not, return the Time Capsule and dig deeper in the air port card and other issues.

Feb 27, 2011 8:37 PM in response to Duane Morrison

I have now tested the MacBook with a brand new router and still getting very poor signal strength.

So I'm think the AirPort card could be on it's last legs...

If I were to consider replacing it, could anyone recommend an appropriate 3rd party card for my White Macbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo?

Or any AirPort card troubleshooting I could do before I go to the trouble of replacing it...?

Would downgrading my OSX be a potential thing to try first ?

Cheers
Duane

Mar 14, 2011 7:36 AM in response to Duane Morrison

[My apologies if this is not the correct forum]. I am (almost) convinced I have to replace the Airport Extreme Card on my daughter's MacBook. I am concerned that there appear to be two possible types of card for a 2008 White Macbook -- one with two antenna leads, one with three. The Macbook model and specification is as follows:

White MacBook4,1 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Penryn??) -- Model number is A1181 (I think - case is a bit worn :-)) System Profiler lists the Airport card type as Airport Extreme (0 x 14E4, 0 x 88) and the Firmware Version as Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)

I don't think I can get a replacement Broadcom card - so would be grateful to know which replacement cards might be compatible (specifically whether the 2 lead antenna or 3 lead antenna type is needed).

Many thanks
SteveS19

Airport signal strength

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.