Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not rename ~/Movies folder (can rename all others)

I am trying to rename my Movie folder for troubleshooting reasons. I want to change Movies → Movies.old to test some errors I have been getting. I have been able to change every other name in my Home Folder, but not Movies.

Does anyone have any idea of what could cause this?

G5 PPC 1.8 Ghz 2 Ghz RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17" 2.16 Ghz MBP 1 GB RAM (10.6 Snow Leopard)

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 2:34 PM

5 replies

Feb 10, 2011 3:14 PM in response to TGH

Movies has the Deny Delete ACL set on it, which prevents a user from changing or deleting it. Documents, Library, Desktop, and the other OS X supplied home folder subfolders have it too.

Run this command in Terminal to remove this ACL from your Movies folder:

chmod -N ~/Movies

You then should be able to rename that folder with Finder. If you want to put the Deny Delete ACL back on, use this:

chmod +a "everyone deny delete" ~/Movies

Feb 10, 2011 4:54 PM in response to TGH

Everyone, thanks for the advice (and warnings). I do appreciate it. Rest assured, this is not my first time 'round the bend, so I'm careful. I did figure out the solution and it was Király's post that got me moving in the right direction.

I didn't do exactly what you posted, I stayed with a process I'm more familiar with. In Terminal I did the following:

1. ls -le ~/ (this gave me the permissions and ACL's) I saw ~/Movies had 0: group:everyone deny delete

2. chmod -a# 0 ~/Movies (removed the 0 ACL entry)

Can not rename ~/Movies folder (can rename all others)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.