Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

for restoring from backup itunes is asking for password

Hi Experts

for restoring from backup itunes is asking for password and i didn't give any password when backup was going on not even i checked on encrypt my backup.

please help me ASAP

Dell Vostro, Dell

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 1:23 AM

9 replies

Feb 12, 2011 12:54 PM in response to Mannadas206

I too am having the same issue. Did a backup and when I wen't to restore it has asked for a password (or passkey) I never put on it.

Running Windows 7 and the latest itunes. I've called Appled who basically brushed me off onto Microsoft even though its an Apple related fault. 5 Minutes of searching will show this isn't a one off problem.

Also I've used the elcomsoft program which yielded no results, probably because theres no password on the file any how.

May 15, 2011 1:06 PM in response to WhiteFox88

See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3057884

I too have experienced the "blame everything but Apple products/software" indoctrination of the Apple phone support techs!

I have a feeling that iTunes automatically switches encryption on and puts as default a previous iTunes store password but as I don't leave mine the same all the time (and don't feel the need to remember historic passwords that I'm not using to secure anything against) I have no clue what it is.

Good luck trying to get useful advice on here relating to the issue, it will go along the lines of...

1) Its your fault for setting it and forgetting the password,

2) We know everything and theres definately no way iTunes would set backups to encrypt without your knowledge and...

3) Theres no fix for this issue, you might be able to save some of your data, but most will be lost (unless you specifically ask for an iTunes redownload exemption/ token then your purchases could be lost too).

Welcome to the world of Apple!

for restoring from backup itunes is asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.