Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes keeps opening up

I just downloaded the latest version of itunes and now it automatically opens. I keep trying to close it and it closes but then opens back up about 10 seconds later. I do have a USB headset plugged into my computer so I can use my Dragon and Rosetta Stone. Even though this never caused a problem before I installed the update, I thought maybe if I unplugged it, it would prevent the itunes from opening (thought that maybe itunes thought it was a device). Rebooted computer and it still kept opening up.

I am running Windows 7 - 64 bit.

Help! This is driving me nuts.

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2011 4:15 PM

Do you have an add-on like Last.fm for iTunes? If so, you need to close that before closing iTunes.

Is your iPod connected while this is happening? If so, is it set to automatically open iTunes when connected? If that's the case, either eject your iPod and disconnect it before shutting down iTunes, or change the iPod setting.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2011 4:15 PM in response to JavaholicKris

Do you have an add-on like Last.fm for iTunes? If so, you need to close that before closing iTunes.

Is your iPod connected while this is happening? If so, is it set to automatically open iTunes when connected? If that's the case, either eject your iPod and disconnect it before shutting down iTunes, or change the iPod setting.

Feb 12, 2011 11:46 AM in response to polydorus

I have exactly the same issue - iTunes will not stay closed. iTunes is my only music player and is set as the default music player. No widgets, plug-ins etc (apart from Soundspectrum visualizers).

I have put up with this for a long time, and can see from a Google search that many others have too.

As this issue occurs across several versions of Windows and also plagues Mac OS users, it would be great if there was a definitive answer from the devs about this, or, an update which will fix it.

The only way I can force iTunes to close and stay closed is to use Windows Task Manager to kill the iTunes and the iTunes Helper processes.

It would be really nice to either download an update to fix this, place/remove a checkmark in one of the options, or change a registry setting so that this no longer occurs.

Thanks.

Jan 23, 2012 12:14 PM in response to missvassy

I, too, have this problem. I'm running a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, with only hardware and USB device drivers, and iTunes x64.

i7-3960x

Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard w/ Built in RealTek Audio

Creative SB-XFi HD Audio USB

It continually reopens unless I go into the task manager and kill the iTunes.exe *32 process manually.

Edit: Windows 7 has popped up an Action Center message saying that the system is registering it as iTunes continually crashing and reopening. So obviously there's some sort of problem, at least in my case, with how iTunes is trying to close.

Feb 3, 2012 10:42 AM in response to missvassy

hmm, multiple threads, Brardith - you are on an old one, still valid info though, might as well post here as well 🙂

Annoying bug, until apple fix, two options:

1)
- Under the Devices tab of preferences, check the box that says: "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from synching automatically."
- If your iPhone shows up in the left column, select it and uncheck the box that says "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi"

- create a batch file on your desktop i.e. create a file, rename it to .bat

add this to file

"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe"
taskkill /F /IM AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
taskkill /F /IM itunes.exe

attach device, run batch file, use as normal, close itunes - hopefully it shouldnt start..

---

2)
alternatively - run as normal - if itunes keeps popping up, then run the batch file a couple of times and see it that stops it.

works for me

windows 7 x64, itunes 10.5.3.3

Feb 28, 2012 1:30 AM in response to missvassy

I've had this same issue for a while now after updating to 10.5. I sat down and played with it tonight and stumbed on to an easy fix.

This worked on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

1: I right clicked my iTunes shortcut on the desktop,

2: Selected "Open Containing Folder",

3: Right clicked the iTunes EXE file,

4: Chose properties,

5: Clicked on the Compatibility tab,

6: Checked the box marked "Run this program in compatibility mode for:",

7: Selected Windows 7 in the drop down,

8: Checked the box marked "Run this program as an administrator".

That seems to have fixed it for me. I hope it works for any one else who reads this! Good luck!

itunes keeps opening up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.