Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Soundtrack Pro audio content

Hi. I am about to install the version of Soundtrack Pro that comes w/ Final Cut Studio 2 and would like to install the audio content that comes on the three DVDs onto a secondary internal drive, the same drive where I store my video media files. Now, I also have audio content from Soundtrack v1.5 (that came w/ FCE 3.5) installed on my boot drive. Are all these files duplicated within the new audio content that comes w/ Soundtrack Pro that I am about to install? If not, will I be able to access both libraries of audio content once I have Soundtrack Pro installed, even though the two libraries will reside on different drives? And when I install the new audio content onto the secondary drive, where is the best location to keep the files? On what level of the drive and what should I name the folder? Thanks for your consideration.

Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 4 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 8:16 AM

Most of the content should be about the same. The big came change between versions two and three. And that change was in the use of Apple CAF files. That stands for compressed audio file, from what I understand.

If you search this forum you'll find that this topic came up several times. This extensive documentation on how to force soundtrack Pro to access sound effects libraries on external drives, or on different directories on your primary hard drive. easy way to deal with it right now is to simply move your existing libraries onto a directory on an external drive. Installed the new files. Then move them where you'd like them. Then tell soundtrack Pro would access everything. If it were me, I would just install the new files and not worry about the old ones. Duplicates will be overwritten and non-duplicates will be preserved. You can then move whatever files you want anywhere you want and then tell soundtrack Pro were to find them.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2011 8:16 AM in response to stopmotion

Most of the content should be about the same. The big came change between versions two and three. And that change was in the use of Apple CAF files. That stands for compressed audio file, from what I understand.

If you search this forum you'll find that this topic came up several times. This extensive documentation on how to force soundtrack Pro to access sound effects libraries on external drives, or on different directories on your primary hard drive. easy way to deal with it right now is to simply move your existing libraries onto a directory on an external drive. Installed the new files. Then move them where you'd like them. Then tell soundtrack Pro would access everything. If it were me, I would just install the new files and not worry about the old ones. Duplicates will be overwritten and non-duplicates will be preserved. You can then move whatever files you want anywhere you want and then tell soundtrack Pro were to find them.

Feb 12, 2011 9:15 AM in response to NLEdit

Thanks for your reply. According to some research I did, 24 GB is required for Soundtrack Pro Audio content (the version that comes w/ FCP6), which is why I wanted to install it all on a separate drive to begin with. The Apple Loops for Soundtrack folder which contains the audio content from Soundtrack v1.5 on my boot drive only contains 4.01 GB of files which leads me to believe that there is a lot more content in v2 (20 GB more?). But I suppose that I can still do as you suggested and move the whole new Apple Loops for Soundtrack folder to my secondary drive once I have installed all the new content?

Feb 12, 2011 11:02 AM in response to stopmotion

Your analysis of the data size could be entirely correct. I'm a long way from the earlier versions.

You can do exactly as suggested and install the sample sounds and then move them off to another drive. I did that for quite a while on the laptop. It had only a 140 gig drive. I moved all the STP, iLife, garage band sound onto a portable drive. When I changed to a new 500 gig drive I moved them all back again. Each time I used the STP brower's setup function to reset and reindex the directories. I have screen grabs of all that posted in the forum. I also maintain my own collection of various room tones fro the different locations in which we've shot. I keep those in a separate directory also indexed the same way. It's significant to note that is you install/reinstall STP you can skip the sound files, just reindex them from their current location.
Let us know how it goes.

Feb 12, 2011 7:59 PM in response to NLEdit

Well, here's another question. Installation worked w/o a hitch. Moved the Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro folder to my secondary drive and got Soundtrack Pro to recognize it and index it. Can access everything on it, it seems, but can't find any musical instrument loops similar to the ones that came w/ Soundtrack v1.5. No drum loops, no percussion loops, no loops at all of any musical instrument. Am I missing something?

Installing Soundtrack Pro audio content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.