Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Mac Pro Do I have?

How can I tell for sure which Mac Pro I have?

Too often I see Mac Pros identified by the year. 2010, 2009, etc.

When I look up my hardware it states:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8

So, I have a dual Quad Core (or 8 processor) Mac Pro, at 3.2 GHz.

I think it's the model introduced after January 2008, but not a 2009 Nahlem model.

(yes, I should know when I bought it, but I have several Mac Pros, iMacs, Macbooks, etc)

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), FCP 7

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 2:24 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2011 3:24 AM in response to The hatter

The specs for the "early 2008" Mac Pro seem to match what I have.

Although, it would be nice if there were an easier/clearer way to make that determination.

I searched Apple's Support site for the user manual. I enter my system's serial number and it comes back with the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) User Guide.

It's odd that Apple refers to Mac Pros by year on their site. You can't get that info when you choose About This Mac from the systems Menu.

Thanks anyway. I think you have confirmed my guess.

Feb 13, 2011 5:21 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

MacPro3,1 Early 2008

Oddist namning convention, yes. Could be called Penryn Mac Pro too, or Mac Pro UEFI or just Mac Pro Xeon 3G (3rd generation) would suit me fine.

But don't want to confuse or get technical and seem like we care about what's under the hood now do we.

The Support/MacPro page does have link to various yrs manuals, specs while sounds like you just went to some main page for current model only.

Apple Developer Notes went into legacy archive and can no longer even use bookmarks to old technical manuals that were helpful in understanding and seeing schematics.

Which Mac Pro Do I have?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.