Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tab key on apple keyboard

Since I bought a new apple keyboard the tab button has not worked as a normal tab key does. I know it works because when pressed shift+tab the cursor jumps to previous slot/link. When pressed it makes Imac makes the error sound so obviously it does register. So my question is if anyone knows of a different way the tab key could be programmed that is preventing me from using it the way it should normally work? If so, how can I reprogram it so that it functions normally? I fill out many forms since I work at home and its time consuming to have to click the mouse each time I need to move from slot to slot. Please help.

Imac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 9:45 PM

4 replies

Feb 23, 2011 7:01 AM in response to Enelra

Sometimes how keys function depends upon the software used. What application is this? Have you tried using tab in, say, a Text Edit document to see if it behaves normally there?

You can do some key configuration in System preferences > keyboard&Mouse > then the keyboard tab I won't provide more details because I am using an older system and they may have changed it on your version

Feb 23, 2011 7:36 AM in response to Enelra

Again, I don't know which application you are using. Tab just introduces a tab character. It doesn't normally skip to a new line, and only skips to a new box in something with forms if the individual application is set up to respond to that. The jump to next box may have to be configured in the application's own preferences settings.

Tab key on apple keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.