Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Overheating and Temperature

Hello, I have been loading some hard core applications on my macbook recently. A hardware monitoring application called iStats Menus have warned me that the temperature in the CPU have reached 95 Celsius and it is worrying me because it is getting really hot. Does is damage my mac in anyway? Is it severe? I m a professional user of mac and therefore, would like a professional answer. Thank you.

Macbook Pro Latest Model, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2.8 GHz i7, 8GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 3:59 AM

If you use the MacBook Pro on a hard surface there should always be enough airflow around it and fans running at maximum (once it goes past 85C) to ensure nothing can harm. The CPU's are designed to operate at 100C and if they get over that the thermal cut-out will take effect and switch the machine off. It's unusual for them to run at 95C for any length of time as the fan(s) at max revs (6,000) normally lowers the temperature back into the 85C range pretty quickly.

Can you heard the fans running and does iStat shows 6,000 ? If not then you might have a fault which needs to be fixed.

User uploaded file
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2011 3:59 AM in response to williamtong

If you use the MacBook Pro on a hard surface there should always be enough airflow around it and fans running at maximum (once it goes past 85C) to ensure nothing can harm. The CPU's are designed to operate at 100C and if they get over that the thermal cut-out will take effect and switch the machine off. It's unusual for them to run at 95C for any length of time as the fan(s) at max revs (6,000) normally lowers the temperature back into the 85C range pretty quickly.

Can you heard the fans running and does iStat shows 6,000 ? If not then you might have a fault which needs to be fixed.

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2011 2:01 AM in response to iVmichael

Thank you Michael, my macbook pro is covered in a Speck casing- http://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-cases/macbook-pro-cases-17/seethru-satin-ma cbook-pro-case-17-black.html
It has not reached a point where it reaches 100 Celsius and I dont think the fans were changing revolution speeds at all. Thank you again for your advice and reply! BTW iStat doesnt show fan revolution. 🙂

Macbook Pro Overheating and Temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.