Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where the ringtone files are located

I would like find out my custom ringtone files on my iMac running OSX 10.6.5. Can someone advise where they are. Tried to search .m4a files but no avai. Thanks!

MacBook Air, iMac 27", Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 4 - iOS 4.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 6:57 AM

There is NOT a tones folder in the new iTunes. Worse yet, it's not easy to find the ones you had before. I am having the same problem with syncing my Tones from my phone and computer, but I do know that there is now an IMPORT folder inside of the iTunes folder where you can find Tones that you create. There is also a TONES folder inside of the iTunes folder that contains all of your tones. Hope this helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2017 6:57 AM in response to Ray Li1

There is NOT a tones folder in the new iTunes. Worse yet, it's not easy to find the ones you had before. I am having the same problem with syncing my Tones from my phone and computer, but I do know that there is now an IMPORT folder inside of the iTunes folder where you can find Tones that you create. There is also a TONES folder inside of the iTunes folder that contains all of your tones. Hope this helps.

Feb 19, 2011 7:30 AM in response to Ray Li1

Have you tried digging into the iTunes folder in Music?
I have a Ringtones folder in my iTunes Media folder (which on older installations is iTunes Music).
Ringtones are m4r, also.
Finally, I'm not sure what you mean referring to not finding them in iTunes. If you click on Ringtones in the Library column, do you see any ringtones listed?

Where the ringtone files are located

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.