Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder log

Hi,

does finder log it's activity by default when it moves, copies, deletes files?

Thanks,

Philipp

MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 10:13 AM

Not that I'm aware of. You can locate logs in /Library/Logs/ or /Home/Library/Logs/ folders. But I only see logs for diagnostics or crashes.
6 replies

Feb 13, 2011 10:21 AM in response to Philipp Metzler

would be nice though. at least when you have the "undo" option in the menu to have some more information on what it could undo like "undo move of 36 files. for more details click here ...". computer was very slow lately and I pressed some buttons - the command went to the wrong window in the end - don't know which files were moved to which place ...

Mar 7, 2016 6:59 PM in response to Kappy

all the more reason to have logs, so we can figure out where we screwed up and re-think the 'puter.

i understand that keeping a log for finder -- every menial task and movement -- would generate unwieldy logs. but **** if it isn't something that should at least be an /option/. how many people have just needed to know which files were moved from a not trash folder into trash. that log alone would be a godsend. it's 2016 for pete's sake, where is that log file already????? *grumbles and continues searching for a file she's pretty sure is gone forever*

Mar 10, 2016 9:13 AM in response to kchilds

The last task usually can be undone (command-Z or command-Y selecting a file that had been just moved). But once you have done other tasks, it is only a matter of time before the record of previous tasks becomes too big to be undone. This is why it is good to have a good backup plan*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Finder log

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.