Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Math Symbols

I am taking a Logic course (the branch of philosophy, not the application) and I need to use math symbols.

I accessed the International Settings, but other than a couple of Greek symbols, I find nothing.

Any advice?

MB Pro, MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 11:37 AM

There seems to be some app that provide math symbols such as Symbols (for the iPad).
12 replies

Feb 13, 2011 11:52 AM in response to Darin Simmer

Don't know which ones you need, but if you tap the .?123 symbol on the iPad keyboard to bring up the numbers, then tap the #+= key next to undo, there are some math symbols in there but they are very limited. There is an app called One Keyboard, but it looks like it got crappy reviews.

Message was edited by: Demo

Jun 4, 2011 1:03 PM in response to Darin Simmer

Built into OSX standard keyboard are "special characters." To access these characters use the "option" key to toggle between the special characters and standard letters and numbers. If you want to see what symbols are used for what keys...enter the system preferences menu and go to keyboard. Then select to display the keyboard in the menu. Then, click the menu icon in your top OSX menu...a keyboard will pop-up. press the option key to toggle between the characters.

Apr 17, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Darin Simmer

I have used copying and pasting from an app (such as Evernote) for a long time*, but I have figured out a much easier and more efficient way – though you likely don't need this now.

* That is possible because although iOS devices cannot type some symbols they can still display and work with them. So you can type a list of symbols into Evernote on Mac and sync them to your iOS device.

Set up keyboard shortcuts to replace things you can type with the symbols you need. For example you cannot type ² on an iOS device, but you can set up a "shortcut" with "²" as the phrase (you need to copy the symbol into the text field from the app where you have the symbols) and "^2" as the shortcut.

This screencast demonstrates it : Type scientific and math symbols on your iOS device with ease

Math Symbols

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.