Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, my 20th Anniversary Mac is dead

Hi all,

I have a 20th Anniversary Mac. It was working great, with 128MB of RAM and a 400MHz G3 card, but a tiny 300MB HD. Last night, I pulled the small hard drive in favor of an IBM 3.2GB drive. Now, when I power on the TAM, I get the chime and fan, but no HD spinup, green light, or display on the LCD. I tried pulling everything and reseating it, CUDA reset, and it won't take a PRAM reset.

The PRAM battery is bad, but all it would take before was turning it off and back on again via the back switch to get it to boot. Now, that doesn't work.

Is it dead??

Thanks guys,
Kyle-

MacBook Pro, iPad 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.5), many vintage models

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 1:24 PM

6 replies

Feb 13, 2011 3:24 PM in response to Kyle Koerner

The PRAM battery is bad

The problem is that you completely dropped the power when the battery was very weak.

Turning it on and off works for a while, and sometimes does not work any more. You could try removing the battery entirely. That is a 4.5 Volt long-life alkaline battery, Ray-O-Vac 840, 841 or equivalent. Available from many Mac-centric dealers for under US$10. You can build one from three AA batteries in a holder with the clip from the old battery, but beware of battery leakage if it becomes discharged.

Help, my 20th Anniversary Mac is dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.