Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i optimize iMac g5..?

hello i have question about optimizn iMac g5 20.
i m only going to use it for sound/audio production using only few Apps.

so i wanna know what apps can i kill off for best performance..?

BC i see lots of apps that i don care for but, me still being super newbei in Mac world, i wanna make sure they are safe to remove..
so what can i do...?

thank you for reading thread from newbie

Imac g5 20 als, Mac OS X (10.5.8), HPDV6875se 4gb ram

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 3:43 PM

5 replies

Apr 18, 2011 12:26 AM in response to PCnMac2gether

If you need some extra space and less clutter, try Monolingual. It removes foreign language files for the operating system and keyboard and so on. All macs ship with all languages bundled in the computer since they dont know who will end up using it. Just choose the languages you want remove and it will free up alot of room by taking out all the unnecessary files. Just be sure not to remove your own language, lol.

Apr 20, 2011 6:32 PM in response to PCnMac2gether

hi - a few things for G5 and ProTools:

ideally, make sure ProTools is the only application running. Safari will slow things down, especially if Flash isn't disabled..

main thing to remember is to disable hard drive spindown and sleep mode in the Energy Saver Control Panel.

I'd recommend using a free app called Caffeine for Mac that will let you choose when to delay sleep, screensaver etc.

Digidesign say to do the following:

Configure System Preferences

Optimize Energy Saver

Turn off Airport and Bluetooth

Disable Time Machine

Disable FireWire Networking

Disable FileVault protection

Update iLok Drivers

dsable Software Update

more from them on this at:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=349731&ssdFilterCom munity15=1409&ssdFilterCommunity13=0&ssdFilterCommunity11=0&ssdFilterCommunity10 =368&ssdFilter_SearchKeyWord=OSX+optimization&page=1&ssdSearchOperator=0&ssdFilt erCommunity3=1078&Hilite=OSX+optimization

How do i optimize iMac g5..?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.