Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RadarWeb Bug Report

Since I cannot for the life of me get RadarWeb to work correctly (it tells me "No matching components found", but doesn't suggest any valid components...screenshots others have taken suggest that I should be seeing a drop-down list with component choices in it, but all I get is an empty text-field), I found a bug/flaky behavior in UITableViewCell that I wanted to report (I know this isn't the best place for it, but I've wasted too much time already trying to get RadarWeb to work, and maybe someone here can help):

*Problem Description*
UITableViewCell.imageView incorrectly scales its image attribute, even when the developer has programmatically applied a different scale factor to the image being used. This only happens if the image is scaled using UIImageOrientationUp. If any other orientation is used, then the programmatic scale factor is respected.

Source-code that reproduces the issue is here: UITableViewTest.zip

Workaround
If you store your table-cell images upside-down, and then scale them back into the correct orientation when adding them to your UITableViewCell(s), you can get the image to display correctly and at the desired scale.

Screenshot
User uploaded file

Additionally I would like to lodge a formal complaint against RadarWeb:

*Problem Description*
RadarWeb is one of the worst bug reporting tools I have ever used. It has too many fields in too many sections (am I seriously expected to specify a schedule for each bug I submit? How am I supposed to know what sort of schedule is reasonable? How about showing me your current development calendar if you want to me provide a schedule for fixing the bug?). It screws up and loses my bug reports. I hit 'Save' but it doesn't save anything. It tells me "No matching components found" but doesn't give me any indications as to what a valid combination of Component+Version would be. The "Find Component" tool never finds any components. It forgets everything I've done after two hours (what is this, the 1990's?) instead of auto-saving my work and caching it with my user account. I have legitimate bugs to submit, but this useless tool is not letting me.

I propose you replace RadarWeb with an issue tracking system that actually works, like JIRA.

Workaround
Don't bother being responsible about reporting bugs that you find...

custom-build, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 5:33 PM

13 replies

Feb 13, 2011 5:49 PM in response to adam.roth

adam.roth wrote:
Additionally I would like to lodge a formal complaint against RadarWeb:

*Problem Description*
RadarWeb is one of the worst bug reporting tools I have ever used. It has too many fields in too many sections (am I seriously expected to specify a schedule for each bug I submit? How am I supposed to know what sort of schedule is reasonable? How about showing me your current development calendar if you want to me provide a schedule for fixing the bug?). It screws up and loses my bug reports. I hit 'Save' but it doesn't save anything. It tells me "No matching components found" but doesn't give me any indications as to what a valid combination of Component+Version would be. The "Find Component" tool never finds any components. It forgets everything I've done after two hours (what is this, the 1990's?) instead of auto-saving my work and caching it with my user account. I have legitimate bugs to submit, but this useless tool is not letting me.

I propose you replace RadarWeb with an issue tracking system that actually works, like JIRA.

Workaround
Don't bother being responsible about reporting bugs that you find...

Could you provide a link to what you are using? That sure doesn't sound like the Apple Bug Reporter that I've always used. It has a total of six fields. I don't see anything called "components". What you are describing sounds more like DDTS or something.

Feb 13, 2011 5:59 PM in response to adam.roth

adam.roth wrote:
Source-code that reproduces the issue is here: UITableViewTest.zip

The first thing you are going to need to do is "conform". Xcode likes to do things in a certain way. Diverge at your peril. Your project file should be in the same directory as your source file. That probably explains the SCM problems you've had.

Also, you seem to have reorganized your groups. tsk, tsk, tsk.

Under UITableViewTest, you need:
Classes
Other Source
Resources
Frameworks
Products

I suggest using the provided project templates. This isn't Burger King®, you can't have it your way.

Message was edited by: etresoft

Feb 13, 2011 6:17 PM in response to adam.roth

{quote}The first thing you are going to need to do is "conform". Xcode likes to do things in a certain way. Diverge at your peril. Your project file should be in the same directory as your source file. That probably explains the SCM problems you've had.

Also, you seem to have reorganized your groups. tsk, tsk, tsk.{quote}

Nope, didn't do any of that. All I did was 'New Project...' (using the "View-based Application" template) in XCode4. I specified a folder for the project, and everything else is as the IDE created it. I confirmed this by creating a new test project. It got the exact same layout by default. XCode4 just does things differently ("it's too advanced to be compatible with anything else!").

I guess I should have noted on the download that the project should be opened with XCode4.

Message was edited by: adam.roth

Feb 13, 2011 6:29 PM in response to adam.roth

adam.roth wrote:
*Problem Description*
UITableViewCell.imageView incorrectly scales its image attribute, even when the developer has programmatically applied a different scale factor to the image being used. This only happens if the image is scaled using UIImageOrientationUp. If any other orientation is used, then the programmatic scale factor is respected.

Did you notice those logging message every time you set the image?
"<Error>: CGAffineTransformInvert: singular matrix"

Something fishy is going on. Try just using the image as is and applying a transform to the view. That seems to work fine:

cell.imageView.image = [UIImage imageNamed:IMAGE_NAME];

CGAffineTransform transform = CGAffineTransformMakeScale(.5, .5);
cell.imageView.transform = transform;

Not quite as convenient, true.

Feb 13, 2011 6:41 PM in response to adam.roth

adam.roth wrote:
Nope, didn't do any of that. All I did was 'New Project...' (using the "View-based Application" template) in XCode4. I specified a folder for the project, and everything else is as the IDE created it. I confirmed this by creating a new test project. It got the exact same layout by default. XCode4 just does things differently ("it's too advanced to be compatible with anything else!").

I guess I should have noted on the download that the project should be opened with XCode4.

Xcode3 and Xcode4 are project compatible. I haven't played with Xcode4 for a while. I was planning on downloading the GM sometime soon. I will have to look at that.

I don't like that project file layout at all. Your nib files are mixed in with your source code. Is that how it is on Xcode4? In the past I have usually made my own project templates because I don't like how Apple formats source code. I may have to continue that.

Your RadarWeb definitely doesn't look right. It looks like you have an internal Apple account or something. I know a good way to check. See if you can look up one of my bugs. Try 8847108 or 8839460. If you can see someone else's bugs, you definitely have internal access.

Feb 13, 2011 7:35 PM in response to etresoft

That's a nice workaround, certainly better than storing an inverted copy of the image. Still doesn't explain why the rendering is different between the first cell and all the subsequent cells though. At a minimum I'd expect the behavior to be consistent. And I did notice the error messages, but I found some posts on stackoverflow or some similar site that made it sound like a known issue of some sort. The rotation and scale appeared to always be applied correctly (except for the first cell), so I didn't worry too much about the error log.

{quote}Your nib files are mixed in with your source code. Is that how it is on Xcode4?{quote}

Yep, at least that's what it does if you do 'New File...' and then select "UIViewController subclass".

{quote}Your RadarWeb definitely doesn't look right. It looks like you have an internal Apple account or something. I know a good way to check. See if you can look up one of my bugs. Try 8847108 or 8839460.{quote}

No, it won't let me look at them. I get a nice red error message along the lines of "No items were found that match the search criteria (The search may have failed if you do not have enough privileges to view the search result)". But I think you're probably right, although I have no idea how/why I would have been given internal access to RadarWeb.

Feb 14, 2011 4:28 AM in response to adam.roth

adam.roth wrote:
That's a nice workaround, certainly better than storing an inverted copy of the image. Still doesn't explain why the rendering is different between the first cell and all the subsequent cells though. At a minimum I'd expect the behavior to be consistent. And I did notice the error messages, but I found some posts on stackoverflow or some similar site that made it sound like a known issue of some sort. The rotation and scale appeared to always be applied correctly (except for the first cell), so I didn't worry too much about the error log.

It is probably just a bug. Perhaps it was never tested in a table cell or something.

Yep, at least that's what it does if you do 'New File...' and then select "UIViewController subclass".

I have the latest Xcode4 now. I'm going to see how it looks.

No, it won't let me look at them. I get a nice red error message along the lines of "No items were found that match the search criteria (The search may have failed if you do not have enough privileges to view the search result)". But I think you're probably right, although I have no idea how/why I would have been given internal access to RadarWeb.

You should contact Developer support and have that cleaned up.

Feb 15, 2011 4:18 PM in response to etresoft

Adam,

I'm also seeing the same behaviour with the bug report website - when I log in, I get what appears to be an old version of the bug system. I've noticed that on the 'Find Component' page, there's a dropdown for 'World' that includes Apple II, Newton, MSDOS and OS/2 but not iPhone or iPod! Some of my colleagues are also seeing the same thing, although others are getting through to the new version described by other posters. It seems to be based on something in the Apple ID.

If I find out what's going on I'll let you know.

Feb 15, 2011 7:21 PM in response to Rich Baldry

Apple sorted my account out for me. It did indeed have access to some internal parts of the system. If you (and others who are having the same problem) contact them, I assume they'll fix your account as well.

The non-internal version is much more usable, though I kind of feel sorry for Apple employees if they're stuck using the version that I was seeing.

RadarWeb Bug Report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.