Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comcast Set top box (HDMI out) to Cinema display (DVi)

I bought a female Dvi to HDMI converter, with the idea of watching cable programming from my set-top box (DVR) on my cinema display (purchased in 2006). When I connect the cable I see nothing on the display, just a black screen. It works fine with my MacBook Pro.

Is there something about this that won't work?

Is the cinema display looking for something it isn't getting from the output of the set-top box?

MacBook Pro - 23" cinema display, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 8:14 PM

7 replies

Feb 14, 2011 9:00 PM in response to Bob Elmore

No, I am just trying to use the cinema display as you use a television.

Which has HDCP. X423424X is right. A Comcast box won't send anything digital out the HDMI port unencrypted. It needs to see an HDCP enable device, like a television, hanging off the port before it will send any video out. Your generation of ACD does not support HDCP.

It would be nice if Apple displays were more flexible devices so they could be repurposed as TVs when they no longer are needed as computer displays. But they are not good at this at all. And not just for the above reason. But we don't need to get into that.

Jul 18, 2015 1:28 AM in response to Bob Elmore

I watch my Technomate sat receiver on my computer monitor. I have a 24" HP W244. When you turn it on it asks you what input source do you want. You just select HDMI and the connection is made immediately. I also have a Mac 24" Cinema Display and that doesn't have an HDMI input. It's a pity that although I paid nearly a thousand for the Mac Monitor the inputs are basic. I do have an HDMI input on my Blackmagic Card but that doesn't work either. Another way I can watch TV on my Mac is to connect the Technomate via my Hauppauge PVR Box. That works fine running Eyetv software.

Comcast Set top box (HDMI out) to Cinema display (DVi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.