Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is better when temporarily not using Mac - 'screensaver' or 'sleep'?

I manually invoke a screensaver when I won't be using my MacBook for a while (up to an hour or two) -- instead of putting it to sleep.

When I come back to use the computer again, with rare exceptions the hard drive doesn't rev up as it does when I return to use the Mac after putting it to sleep (either manually or by closing the case).

Is one of these better, in terms of wear and tear on the hard drive?

Also, does the fact that the computer's hard drive apparently does not rev up when use of the computer is resumed from the screensaver (rather than from 'sleep') mean that the hard drive has been spinning (idling) the whole time?

If so, is putting the computer to sleep preferable, since it essentially turns the hard drive 'off' rather than allowing it to spin the entire time that the computer isn't being used?

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.83 MHz

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 3:36 AM

5 replies

Feb 14, 2011 6:46 AM in response to dymar

I believe you are correct in your conclusions. Screensaver only really saves the screen from burn-in effects. The rest of the computer is still up and running. There is also display sleep, but I don't know much about laptops and if they operate in the same way as desktops (this is more of a MBP hardware question). This turns off the display, but the rest of the computer is still up and running.

Full sleep powers down the computer about 95%.

Sleep mode is predominantly a power savings consideration, though some wll argue both ways on the wear and tear savings. Of course it takes longer for a computer to wake from full sleep than just stopping the screensaver. I have my computer set to sleep after an hour's inactivity. When I do have to wake it it can take about 30 seconds (which seems like a long time) for all to work fully again. Since I have a desktop then the power savings is an environmental issue, not a technical one. If you're using a laptop then you're on more limited power and might want to have your computer go into full sleep mode. I would also think that 2 hours is a long time to leave it fully running if you're not using it, especially if you're using it on battery power.

Feb 14, 2011 10:48 AM in response to dymar

Hello dymar,
along the same line that Limnos has already said regarding your topic
question "Which is better when temporarily not using Mac - 'screensaver'
or 'sleep' ?" sleep spins down the hard disk powers down video and the
microprocessor and on portables it also powers down other components.
The following link has a list of components affected by sleep:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2412

You can also select to put the hard disk to sleep when possible by going to
System Preferences>Hardware>Energy Saver and checking the box. Remember
to do this both in Settings For: Power Adapter and Battery.

Happy Computing,

A

Feb 17, 2011 5:55 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks. Is 'display sleep' significantly different than the state that the display is in when a screensaver is active? (Also,'MBP'= ?)

Actually, two hours would be unusually long for me to keep the MacBook on screensaver. Most of the time it's 15 to 45 minutes, and this is with the MacBook connected to A/C. I would always choose sleep for an absence of more than 5-10 minutes when on battery power.

My question was mainly directed toward the issue of hard drive wear-&-tear. In that context, the screensaver seemed preferable for relatively short periods of not using the computer, though I haven't seen any documentation that recommends one over the other (screensaver v. sleep).

Feb 17, 2011 6:01 AM in response to ANOVA

Thanks for your reply and that link, though even the information there leaves open the question of when to choose 'sleep' rather than 'screensaver' or vice versa (on a portable).

A related question is when to choose 'sleep' over 'shutdown.'

For some reason, these issues don't seem to have been addressed in Apple's own documentation.

Feb 17, 2011 3:04 PM in response to dymar

When to choose sleep rather than screen saver.
When to choose sleep over shutdown.

I usually always let my display go to sleep and then my computer
go to sleep before my screen saver is set to start. I have it set this way for
both power adapter and battery. I have my screen saver setup with a
slideshow but seldom use it. I have it setup to require a passcode when
waking from sleep or screen saver. If I want to download a large update
that would take a couple of hours I choose never for computer sleep and
a couple of minutes for display sleep in both power adapter and battery.

I only shutdown my computer when I am done for the day. If I'm getting up
to make a fresh pot of coffee or something I close the lid eventhough I have
display sleep and computer sleep set.

These are my preferences and the way I like them. You should adjust these settings
on your MacBook so that it is comfortable for you to use.

I noticed that your MacBook is about 4 years old (early or late 2006 model). Are
you asking these "When To" questions to try to prolong the life of your computer's
hardware? If so, my best answer would be:

+Backup your important folders and media at least twice+. Hardware can fail at anytime.

I have read of 2 week old MacBook Pros being sent back to Apple for hardware
replacement. If you have Kernel Panics, questionmark, a blue or black screen; system
preferences set to what someone thinks will provide hardware longevity won't be as
useful as a good backup. I should have started this with an "in my humble opinion".
Limnos has already said that some will argue both ways on the wear and tear savings
in an earlier reply.

Set your preferences to where they are most comfortable for you and enjoy using your
computer.

Kind Regards,

A

Which is better when temporarily not using Mac - 'screensaver' or 'sleep'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.