Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing a DVD movie

Hi,
I have a DVD from a wedding and i would like to cut some parts out of it. I handbraked the DVD and it is in .m4v format final cut pro does not accept that so i converted to .mov with .h264 codec still didn't worked. Then i converted to Aplle prores 422 (HQ) also changed the sequence settings to same format that seemed to be working but when i render it, it doesn't render and it says i don't have the right codec card. is there anyway to edit that perhaps a faster way? I need have this done by Wednesday so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
-Dougg
Mackbook pro Intel core i7 2.8 GHz 8 GB ram 500 GB Hard Drive.

IMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2.8 Ghz Intel core i7 16 GB DDR3 ram ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB DDR5

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 1:34 PM

I handbraked the DVD

Wrong. Handbrake is for ripping DVDs for iPhones and iPads and AppleTV. It's not designed for production. Use MPEG Streamclip to get to a video production format and codec, which H.264 is not. Don't go through this step.

In Streamclip export to QuickTime, set the compressor to ProRes or DVCPR050, the frame size to 720x480, the frame frame to 29.97, and the audio to uncompressed 48k.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2011 1:34 PM in response to Doug470

I handbraked the DVD

Wrong. Handbrake is for ripping DVDs for iPhones and iPads and AppleTV. It's not designed for production. Use MPEG Streamclip to get to a video production format and codec, which H.264 is not. Don't go through this step.

In Streamclip export to QuickTime, set the compressor to ProRes or DVCPR050, the frame size to 720x480, the frame frame to 29.97, and the audio to uncompressed 48k.

Feb 28, 2011 7:00 AM in response to Doug470

Hi,
Every time i try to export to Quicktime movie. It does export successfully but the video is exported wrong. When i play the DVD in quicktime format the lips are moving but there is no sound. sound plays before the picture. How should i fix that?
Sorry for asking a noob question but i can't seem to figure this out. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Feb 28, 2011 7:04 AM in response to David S.

Hi,
When I export the DVD into quicktime using Mpeg Stream Clip, it successfully exports into Quicktime, but when i play the movie the lips are moving but there is no sound. The sound plays before the lips move. How should i fix that? Sorry for asking a noob question but i can't seem to figure this out. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks
-Doug

Feb 28, 2011 8:14 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am using these settings:

Compression: Apple DVCPRO50-NSTC
Sound: Uncompressed Streo 48K
Frame Rate: 29.97
Frame Size: 720x480
Quality: 100%
Interlaced Scaling and Reinterlace Chroma is checked
Then I changed the Compression to Apple Prores 422 HQ still didn't worked.
I changed the sound back auto instead of 48K still didn't worked. So i left the frame rate box blank and it still didn't work.

Thanks

Editing a DVD movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.