Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relaying on outgoing email messages

I have the new Verizon iPhone, and everything works well except I cannot send email messages. I get an error message stating that the recipient was rejected [email address] by the server because it does not allow relaying. What does this mean and how do I fix it. I can get incoming email messages, just not outgoing. Please help!

Verizon iPhone, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 2:44 PM

7 replies

Feb 14, 2011 3:27 PM in response to Banana Hannah

What that means is your email provider (probably also your ISP) does not allow someone from outside their network to send emails using their servers. When you are on your Verizon (or AT&T) iPhone cellular network, you are outside your ISP's network, and to them it looks like you are trying to use them to relay your potentially SPAM messages. You need to contact your email provider to see what they offer as a solution.

May 1, 2011 11:09 PM in response to Banana Hannah

Hi,

I was told there could be a problem with your Outgoing mail server settings and most likley have an Outgoing authentication error with your server. Make sure all your settings comply with your servers suggested settings for IMAP or POP3 etc. Usually located in options of the web version mail.

Most importantly make sure your username and passowrd are correct and added in the Outgoing Mail server

Hope this helps!

Michael

Relaying on outgoing email messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.