Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change Mail icon. Other apps change OK.

Can change other app icons the usual way (in Get Info pane after unlocking change privileges). Works on other apps, but not Mail. Have tried downloads of icons in 6 different formats, including .icns. Based on suggestions in Discussions here, tried IconDroplet from MacUpdate w no success.

I notice that on the Clipboard the icons I've copied there in any format, whether directly or from Preview, are identified by Clipboard as .tiff. The one exception is via IconDroplet, which on Clipboard is identified correctly as Apple format, but still won't paste into Mail Get Info.

Have tried: relaunch, reboot, repaired permissions, and the steps above. Thanks for any recommendations!

iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 duo w 4GB, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Mail 4.4

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 5:03 PM

FYI answer: How to replace an app icon in Get Info pane if "Name & Extension"is grayed and new icon just won't paste:

With admin access you can unlock the packlock at bottom right, but that alone doesn't solve the problem. All three access groups must be set to "Read & Write," not just system or admin. With Read & Write privileges enabled for all, Name & Extension can be changed, if desired, and icon will cut/paste as it should.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2011 5:03 PM in response to Susan Hull

FYI answer: How to replace an app icon in Get Info pane if "Name & Extension"is grayed and new icon just won't paste:

With admin access you can unlock the packlock at bottom right, but that alone doesn't solve the problem. All three access groups must be set to "Read & Write," not just system or admin. With Read & Write privileges enabled for all, Name & Extension can be changed, if desired, and icon will cut/paste as it should.

Feb 15, 2011 6:09 PM in response to Susan Hull

I've changed quite a few icons myself; however, it is generally not a really good idea to change anything with system installed software/applications (and that includes their icons and locations).

So, if it works for now, great; however, be prepared if you encounter some strange behavior - ditto for your permissions changes.

Feb 15, 2011 9:24 PM in response to babowa

I've got zillions in my dock, too, and have them more or less organized. I'm going through a bit of 'migration shock,' I think. In an effort to rid myself of Microsoft altogether except for Win7 on my laptop, I recently made the move from Office/Entourage to NeoOffice/Mail/iCal, etc. Also to Google Chrome, as Safari just seemed unstable in its last couple of incarnations. Because of recent requirements to share a Windows thing with family members (genealogy, the one great app for that), I moved partly to cloud computing, as well. It's too much change to do in a short time, but it kinda became necessary all at once.

I wonder if you know a fix for my other Mail issue, which is to change font colors in the mailbox list or the message lists (not in messages themselves, which is straightforward). The prefs pane for fonts lets you Select color and style for those lists, but nothing happens.

Thanks again for your input. I'm in the PNW, too, BTW.

Can't change Mail icon. Other apps change OK.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.