Skip navigation

Word 2011 Permission Error on Save

10264 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 4:55 AM by Mark Burr RSS
Rob Reuland Level 2 Level 2 (265 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 14, 2011 6:46 PM
I have a networked Xserve running 10.6.6. Networked users have a "shared" group folder on the server and connect via AFP. Upon upgrading to Word 2011, users cannot save Word files on the server. The error message is "network file or permission error." Users can save fine using Word 2008. For that matter, users can save Excel 2011 or Powerpoint 2011 files or any other document -- only Word 2011 throws the error. Any ideas?
Lost count, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Kriener Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Feb 15, 2011 12:54 AM (in response to Rob Reuland)
    Do you want to save a complete new file on the server or open an existing file, chance it, an save back to the server?
    Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • InterHmai Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Feb 15, 2011 5:36 AM (in response to Rob Reuland)
    When office programs save over a network share, the temp folder created is named after the local computer's user ID. Since everyone's ID is usually 501, 502, or 503, when the temp folder is created, permissions are set for that ID. If someone else comes along with the same ID, you get a permission error.

The easiest way to fix this is to change the user ID of the user account on their computer.

First, log into an admin account on the computer.

From terminal

*sudo -s*
    *id username*
    Replace username with the username of the user.
    You should get back a UID, save this number for later.

*dscl . -create /Users/username UniqueID 1234*
    Replace username with the username.
    Replace the 1234 with a unique number. This will be the new UID.

*find / -user UID -exec chown username {} \;*
    Replace UID with the users old UID (501, 502, etc)
    Replace username with the username.
    Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • InterHmai Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Feb 15, 2011 1:05 PM (in response to Rob Reuland)
    Ahhh good to know. We're switching to 2011 later this spring.
    Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • Bidli Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Apr 13, 2011 2:58 PM (in response to Rob Reuland)
    In my case, this error message started to appear when I switched from local to network user accounts. Strangely, it only happened when users were saving files to their new network account folders and not when they saved to the shared server drive as they had done previously.

For me, the fix was to manually create the .TemporaryItems folder on the root of the /Users share and give full rights to the users (as pointed out in the latest entry on http://word.mvps.org/mac/cantsavetoserver.html).

Thank you Rob for sharing this link!
    Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Sleestak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 9, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to Bidli)

Bidli, what did you set as the owner and group for the .TemporaryItems folder?

• danielsosmacfrance Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Jun 17, 2011 2:54 AM (in response to Rob Reuland)

I'm about to try all of this workarounds on our MacPro server and get back to you.

• danielsosmacfrance Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Sep 29, 2011 12:56 AM (in response to Rob Reuland)

Noup, the .temporary items folder didn't work. We are on word 2008, and 2011 on some computers. The server is a 10.6 MacPro with Mac OsX server. All the permissions are o.k. but from this computer, after a long time of activity, the bug appears.

• Mark Burr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 29, 2011 4:55 AM (in response to Rob Reuland)

Hi chaps,

I've been getting this issue with one of my clients for years now and it is driving them crazy.

They have a 10.6 server with various 10.5 & 10.6 clients all running Word 2008.

Does this problem exist if they all moved up to Word 2011 ??

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.