Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newby 'duplicates' question

Hello all.
Just started to use Ap.
Imported my library without a hitch. Hurrah!

Looking back at some files/projects,sorry now I find many of my images marked as duplicates even though they have original frame numbers/and have not been edited previous to import or since import. There is no master for them either and no separately filed master on other drive or backup-so far.

I can find no method of reinstating the master or finding it or just making the duplicate a master??

Probably me I know - but - wot to do?

Not disastrous but annoying to say the least.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), SSD user

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 6:28 AM

7 replies

Feb 15, 2011 6:41 AM in response to Ardwa

Hello Ardwa,

Welcome to the user-supported Aperture discussion group.

Glad to hear that you imported the library without a hitch. However, I'm not sure that's true considering your follow-up question!

Looking back at some files/projects,sorry now I find many of my images marked as duplicates even though they have original frame numbers/and have not been edited previous to import or since import.

In what way are they marked as duplicate?

There is no master for them either and no separately filed master on other drive or backup-so far.

Do you mean Aperture displays the little "badge" telling you the master is missing?

So, this means you imported as "referenced" photos -- you chose to "keep pictures in their original locations". Is that correct?

If so, where is that original location? Aperture should not have lost the masters unless you moved them or disconnected the drive on which they were stored.

nathan

Feb 15, 2011 8:13 AM in response to Mr Endo

http://macmate.macace.net/~sharkeyward@macace.net/Screen%20shot%202011-02-15%20a t%2015.55.49.png

Duplicates marked thusly.

Its OKish. My important stuff is yet to be imported!

I have real dupes in some projects also which I can delete without problem but do not know how they occurred. Hmmmm!

Do not know the 'no master' marking, but nothing other than the image is visible at the moment.

Thank you so far.

Feb 15, 2011 10:44 AM in response to Ardwa

Ardwa,

That badge means there are keywords applied. It does not imply they are duplicates. Aperture doesn't actually check for duplicates.

In what way did you import your photos?

Do not know the 'no master' marking, but nothing other than the image is visible at the moment.

Can you explain this further? In your first post, you said your masters were missing, so I asked if you knew that because they were marked with the "missing masters badge". How do you know the masters are missing?

nathan

Feb 15, 2011 12:27 PM in response to Mr Endo

When the image displays in a larger format on my other screen it has 'duplicate' written along the bottom.
Where I have dupes in other files they are next to an identical image with the same title/number. The dupes I am on about do not and their numbers are consecutive with the images to either side.
I imported the images by creating a holding folder eg. 2001 and then 'importing as projects' from the same years folder from my hard drive.
Oddly as of now in the library has no 'key words' applied, by me anyway }:-(

Thank you Nathan

Feb 16, 2011 8:42 AM in response to Mr Endo

Nathan you get a "Genius" rating.

I've been checking back on my old file and this dupe. problem seems to stem from my own sloppy way of doing things, in that I have identical images in different folders for different reasons.
In other words it is the operator once again who needs de-glitching! 😉

Your help has been invaluable.

Thank you.

Newby 'duplicates' question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.