Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powermac G5 start up issues - Where do I heat?

Hey guys I have a 2GHz dual G5 powermac and the person I bought it from said that all you need to do is use a hair dryer to heat around the ram slots.

My question is - where exactly? Can someone show me (preferably with a pic) where exactly needs to be heated? Can you use a heatgun to heat it very high and perform an amateur reflow, without taking the logic board out?

I want this to work and I will try anything.

Powermac G5 and macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), =)

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 2:16 AM

8 replies

Feb 16, 2011 6:55 AM in response to JonnyVM

Hey guys I have a 2GHz dual G5 powermac and the person I bought it from said that all you need to do is use a hair dryer to heat around the ram slots.

To do what exactly? This computer is having running issues? If it is having RAM problems I would not consider a hair dryer a long-term or even reliable short-term solution. In fact, I wonder if blowing hot dry air might even cause static build-up which might fry something in the computer.

Feb 16, 2011 1:00 PM in response to JonnyVM

Maybe there's a loose connection somewhere, either between the chip and the motherboard or inside the chip itself. Heating causes things to expand into contact with each other which then stay heated and expanded when the computer is running. If I'm right about the reasoning then it would be where the RAM chips plug into the main board and/or the chips themselves. I doubt you'll be able to target things that finely though.

This sounds like an invitation to a kernel panic. You'd be better off re-seating the chips in case there is corrosion or they are just loose. If it's the chips themselves you should replace those.

Feb 16, 2011 3:36 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos-

FYI, the hair dryer trick is a long time work around/trouble shooting technique, almost as old as the transition to RoHS solder problem that it addresses.

It isn't a RAM problem, but a solder problem that this addresses.

This trick has been used by several dozen people who have reported back here, and can be found being discussed and recommended web wide.
There are numerous threads in AD alone that deal with this topic.

There isn't a static issue, and it may be the only chance of reviving a machine, short of a new logic board.

Feb 16, 2011 3:35 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua and thanks for the welcome.

Well what do you know...I did that very casually around the RAM slots (didnt have a specific spot) and it worked! I thought it had to be more precise than that, but I guess not. Thanks so much.

So weird that its just in that general area....there has to be a permanent fix for it.

Feb 16, 2011 3:40 PM in response to JonnyVM

So weird that its just in that general area....

There is a high concentration of solder pins around the RAM slots, which simply due to the number of, have a higher chance of failure due to weak solder issues.
there has to be a permanent fix for it.

A more permanent fix is to remove the logic board and use a heat gun or oven to reflow the solder, or, manually heat each pin with a soldering iron.

If you do some searching with Google or such, you will find discussion on the different methods.

Powermac G5 start up issues - Where do I heat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.