Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does an inactive ethernet connection have inet IP address

Hi everyone,

I has a strange issue with the network.My current system is snow leopard. Please take a look at the screen-shot:

http://img204.imageshack.us/i/screenshotts.jpg/

In the screen-shot you can see that the en0(Ethernet) is inactive but it has inet IP address 192.168.2.1 (the same as the router IP).

The computer is currently using airport connection en1: inet IP 192.168.2.6

Why does this thing happen? How can i fix it (mean no inet IP for the Ethernet). Thank a tons.

MBP 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 6:14 AM

10 replies

Oct 4, 2012 3:13 PM in response to hunter1998

Not to bring up an old topic, but I have this same exact issue. I have not been able to find an answer anywhere searching constantly the past few days! And it's not the easiest thing to search for in Google. I am also on snow leopard and I think it's my ethernet too causing problems. It's says it's disconnected and I have even tried turning the ethernet off and deleteing it from the Network settings. I know it's not with the airport because I can turn the airport off and this 192.168.2.1 still shows up in Terminal when I run the ifconfig command. The weird thing is this is the ONLY place it lists that. I have no problems with internet, but when I am trying to play Minecraft with some other people on LAN and I can connect to their servers and play, but they can't join mine because for some reason the game (and I can't change this) uses that 192.168.2.1 as the server instead of the 172.27.35.17 that my computer is set up as the LAN IP. All the other computers are working just fine though. So I don't understand where this 192 IP is coming from and why it won't go away. Are there any permanent fixes for this? I'm on Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro, and everything is up to date.

Why does an inactive ethernet connection have inet IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.