Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery loses 20% overnight on standby

Hello, I just noticed that my iphone battery lost 20% overnight on standby (11pm - 7am) I made sure I had wifi and bluetooth turned off. I only have one gmail push account that fetches every hour. Everything else is at battery optimized settings. I just wanted to know if this battery loss on standby is normal? Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 6:44 AM

19 replies

Feb 16, 2011 4:42 PM in response to lito827

Check also the multitasking bar (hit the home button twice after the stupid voice thing goes away.)

Any app that you have accessed since the last time that you killed them all is still running, taking battery power and maybe data access. (can be a killer to both data and battery.) Click and hold one of the icons that shows up and a minus aka quit or delete sign should show up; do a minus on every app (icon) that shows up and they will finally stop running. I had never realized that multitasking could be a real killer... I love it on my macs but once I quit them on a MAC, they are out of RAM and battery. The iphone multitasker is a sneaky thing since you don't see it unless you are looking for it.

Feb 17, 2011 2:10 AM in response to lito827

Close all background applications.
- Double press the Home button and hold an icon until it wiggles then close the apps.

If that's not helping, then you can always condition or calibrate the battery. Simply recharge it to 100% then discharging it back to 0% then fully recharge it. Hopefully that will fix some of the battery issues your having. You can do this more than once, if the battery has not reached the full capacity. If not, then you might have a defective battery.

Feb 19, 2011 2:31 AM in response to Rhyd

i find this interesting. I looked at my multitasking and just about every app I had was still open. I closed them all and opened google, left it open and rebooted and it was still open, clearly different from a computer that closes all apps upon rebooting.I use a lot of my apps, and closing them is , honestly a pain on an iphone compared to a computer.

1) Why would they use up battery just being open? Dont they have to be doing something? Why might rebooting not close apps?

2) Have you tested battery use overnight with apps on and apps off?

3) I need an app to close apps... Apps in iphone dont tweak system though?

thoughts?

roger

Feb 19, 2011 1:18 PM in response to lito827

20% would be unreasonable unless you are sleeping 16 hours or so...I usually loos 7-8 or so overnight. I stay connected to WiFi at home. The better connection, the less battery drain. So having said that if you are not using WiFi and on VZ 3G, if you have a bad or low signal, this can cause the receiver to work harder and use more battery. I have turned PUSH email off and most of my notifications because I do have this problem at work. 20% would be a good drain...its more like 30 or so for 8 hours - because it struggles with signal there. I can turn off the data and do sometimes if I know I don't want or need during the day. Minimal battery drain when just standing by with cell service only.

Now...what I would do for starters is the reboot the thing. Clearing out the Task Bar of all the apps waiting in the background could help but I suspect there can always be a rouge process still alive and doing stuff unbeknownst to us. So the reboot will kill it. With my old ATT phone I would do this every 1-2 weeks for peace of mind. I did a couple of days ago and my battery life is better again.

Just some ideas and sharing of experiences....

--Mickey

Feb 19, 2011 4:09 PM in response to rrodby

rrodby wrote:
i find this interesting. I looked at my multitasking and just about every app I had was still open. I closed them all and opened google, left it open and rebooted and it was still open, clearly different from a computer that closes all apps upon rebooting.I use a lot of my apps, and closing them is , honestly a pain on an iphone compared to a computer.

Because it IS NOT a multitasking bar. It is a "Recently Used" bar. The apps in it may or may not be running in background. Usually not, unless they are social networking or streaming apps. and just because they are NOT in the bar does not mean they are not running. For example, Game Center and Mail will continue in background even if you kill them in the recently used bar. This is one of the most misunderstood features of iOS4.
1) Why would they use up battery just being open? Dont they have to be doing something? Why might rebooting not close apps?

Apps do not use battery just being open. They are suspended (except as I described). This is so they will launch faster when you run them again,
2) Have you tested battery use overnight with apps on and apps off?

3) I need an app to close apps... Apps in iphone dont tweak system though?

Nope. No way to close apps from another app, and no need to unless they are one of the rare apps that run in background.

Feb 19, 2011 4:13 PM in response to lito827

lito827 wrote:
Hello, I just noticed that my iphone battery lost 20% overnight on standby (11pm - 7am) I made sure I had wifi and bluetooth turned off. I only have one gmail push account that fetches every hour. Everything else is at battery optimized settings. I just wanted to know if this battery loss on standby is normal? Thanks!

I'm confused. You say you have "one gmail push account". and it fetches every hour. Push and Fetch are mutually exclusive; if you have push ON it will override Fetch. Fetch only applies to non-Push accounts. So if you set up gmail as a Push account then you have ActiveSync running in background. It will not show up in the Recently Used bar, but it is still running.

The more fundamental question is why do you not charge it overnight so it is fully charged in the morning?

Feb 22, 2015 9:35 PM in response to lito827

AI'll good points but in most cases you will find that the problem is that you have recently downloaded an app with a buv, this will usually mean that your battery life will be very poor.

to fix it restore your device to its last save point on icloud. then fully charge your device using a battery app, just because your battery says its at 100% doesn't actually mean it's fully charged. I think you will find this helps.

GOod luck

Battery loses 20% overnight on standby

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.