Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! PowerBook G4 OS X 10.3 not connecting to Internet on AT&T U-verse

I recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro from a 7-year-old PowerBook G4. I erased the hard drive on the old one and re-installed the OS with the original software install and restore disc so my step-daughter can use the computer. We have AT&T U-Verse with their residential gateway (modem + router in one), and I am able to connect to the network, but I can't connect to the Internet. In the Network Status for AirPort it said it's connected to the network, but it has a "self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet.

Before I did the wipe and reinstall of the OS I didn't have any problems connecting to the network. I had upgraded to Tiger at some point in time, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. It's not a problem with my Internet connection, because the three other computers (1 Mac + 2 PCs) are connecting fine. One other note: because we are using AT&T's gateway, we don't have access to any of the settings on it.

Anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting?

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Just did re-install of OS

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 6:33 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2011 7:04 PM in response to Wendy Hastings

Hi Wendy,

First of all, Welcome to the Apple Discussion forums!

One other note: because we are using AT&T's gateway, we don't have access to any of the settings on it.

I think the information you need should be on a sticker on the supplied modem/router. There should be an internet address along with key info/password for access to configurations.

hope that helps some,

littleshoulders 🙂

Feb 20, 2011 11:12 AM in response to Wendy Hastings

Wendy,

Welcome to Discussions.

Having a self-assigned IP address means simply that you're not connected to the network, local or internet. It sounds like you're attempting to connect over wireless, and it sounds like your interpretation of being able to "see" the network you wish to connect to is where you believe that you are cnnected to the local network. At least you can see it, so it's a fundamentally good start.

Once you performed the restore from original CDs, did you upgrade to the latest version of OSX 10.3, and update any other software that the Apple Software Update System Pref identifies as requiring upgrade ? I understand this is a chicked and egg situation, you can't get Software Update to check without an internet connection.

So when you attempt to connect to the desired network, are you prompted for a password ?
Does the wireless encryption method chosen by default by the PowerBook G4 match the encryption method expected ? My old PBG4 used to get this wrong sometimes.
In the Network System Pref, what is the order of the Network Port configurations ? Perhaps Ethernet, AirPort, FireWire, Internal Modem, Bluetooth. Although not all of those may be there. Make sure AirPort is at the top - select "Network Port configuration" under the "Show" drop down menu to set the order.

If you're not asked to key a password when you attempt to join the wireless network, it may be that you have an incorrect password stored in the Keychain - happens to all of us. There's a Keychain Access application in the Utilities folder, when I muck it up, I run that and delete the wrong entries and try to connect again.

Can you also confirm which PBG4 it is, just so we're on the same page.

HELP! PowerBook G4 OS X 10.3 not connecting to Internet on AT&T U-verse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.