Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn Voiceover off Permanently?

I have two new nanos. Battery life aside, I have never activated voiceover on either of them but it keeps coming on. I can go three or four songs without it and than it will start again. This is a most annoying feature and I cannot figure out how to keep it inactive when working out. Help!

Lenovo, Windows XP

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 7:32 PM

50 replies

Feb 21, 2011 12:14 PM in response to ParisGeorgeV

Interesting that other comments from people having the same issue have disappeared today. I spoke to Apple support yesterday and they told me they had never heard of such a problem. I told them others were expressing similar problems in the community discussions but now all those comments are gone. Are the community posts being edited by Apple????

Feb 21, 2011 4:24 PM in response to ParisGeorgeV

Like I said yesterday, I swapped out my headphones from the Monster/Dr Dre Powerbeats w/ ControlTalk to a cheaper pair of Panasonics and it appears to have fixed the problem for now. It may have been that the ControlTalk toggle was being hit while running and it somehow engaged VoiceOver on my Nano. Even though internally under Accessibility>VoiceOver it was still shown to be in the off position. Don't know what happened to the posts from yesterday though.

Feb 22, 2011 12:54 AM in response to d_siu_b

I'm suffering the same problem and I did post a reply which has since been deleted.

1've turned the voice over option off on the ipod but it makes no difference at all.

Originally I thought it was becasue I was using Bose headphones that were compatable with taking calls on my iphone but have swapped to ordinary headphones and no difference, it also comes on when I connect to my car stereo via the aux input with a jack to jack lead.

Feb 22, 2011 10:38 AM in response to Jasonp021169

Same here, I had the problem w/ VoiceOver activating even though it was in the Off position under Accessibility>VoiceOver. VoiceOver would repeat continuously which made me believe that it was the ControlTalk toggle on my PowerBeats being pushed accidentally during workouts. If the problem resurfaces for me w/ these other basic earphones, I will re-post.

Feb 22, 2011 3:11 PM in response to d_siu_b

I just got the 1.1 update for my Nano and the "Configure Universal Access" button now shows up in the summary screen, just like it does for my iPhone!

This means you can turn off VoiceOver on your nano by hitting that button and then unchecking VoiceOver.

Here is an article from Apple on some of the other stuff included in the 1.1 update.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4531

i

Mar 3, 2011 8:16 PM in response to ParisGeorgeV

You are not alone, ParisGeorgeV! And YES(!) it is so very annoying! I too have a 6th gen nano that I have not turned on the Voiceover for, but yet turns on when I start running (probably from the button on the headphones bumping against my shirt). And the worst part is that when I try to turn "off" voiceover it already shows it off. And when I go to Universal Settings in the iTunes nano summary page, it too is off. So very frustrating, as it makes your nano unusable.

Dec 19, 2011 8:27 PM in response to ParisGeorgeV

I agree this is a problem with the 6th generation Nanos. I've had two and both will, apparently randomly, go into speaking voiceover without any user action on my part. It is exceedingly annoying. The iTune Configure Access menu and the on-device Accessibilty menu both claim it is off but I can't shut the annoying voice off without a reboot.

How do I turn Voiceover off Permanently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.