Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone on 4g IPod too low

I have had my iPod 4g close to 8months now. And all of a sudden I cannot my voice recordings because apparently my microphone volume is too low. I have reset the settings but it didnt help. Anybody has ideas on how to fix the microphone. And can I take it back to the shop I bought it from even when I can't find the original receipt

iPod 4g, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 9:47 PM

31 replies

Mar 22, 2011 2:29 PM in response to Claude Ferron

Having the same issue with the mic. I sent the unit to Apple and they ran diagnostics on the speakers for some reason and said they are within parameters. I don't know why they looked at the speakers but that is what they reported.

I tested the unit with a pair of Apple earphones/mic. and it worked fine. There is a considerable difference (marked improvement) in volume on the receiving end of the call or when taking a Voice Memo.

May 15, 2011 9:04 AM in response to Igtswag

im having exactly the same problem! ive not really had the ipod for long and straight away the mic doesnt work. i brought it for my brother, i have one also and my one works fine. he sent it off to apple to have the problem rectified but it was given back as no fault, but clearly there is a fault! the sound on facetime and skype and all other mic related applications suffer from the lack of mic input noise. im ashamed that apple overlooked this seeing that many other people are having the same problem.

what can be done about this??

May 19, 2011 9:07 PM in response to Igtswag

I was having the same issue. Hope this works for others. I bought an "invisible shield" cover for 4g and didn't realize that I applied the cover over the mic (on the back next to the camera). There was a perforated circle where the mic was that I didn't realize I was supposed to remove. All the sound was being blocked by the shield. I just used a thumb tac to peel off the problem piece and everything works fine. So hopefully this helps someone because I thought the mic was on the bottom of the device.

Jun 2, 2011 9:38 AM in response to Igtswag

Hello Folks,

I, too, had the same problem and was able to solve it. Yesterday, I noticed I could not be heard over my iPod's (4th Gen) built-in microphone while making a Skype call.

I used the Voice Memos app to test the mic input and I used the "Skype test call" number to do the same test. The results were identical...I could hear myself speaking but very, very faintly. If I turned the iPod over and spoke within 4 inches of the microphone hole (located next to the camera lens), my voice registered loud enough to be heard by the Voice Memo's app (and Skype test) but was still faint.

I do not use a cover, case or other protective covering.

However, inspired by stephanfrommuchen and thinking some dirt may have become lodged in the tiny microphone hole, I pulled out a brand new soft bristled tooth brush and gently rubbed in a side to side direction across the mic hole while holding the ipod on an angle. A tiny amount of blackish powdery-looking dirt came out of the microphone hole - and, I do mean "a tiny amount". I turned the iPod over, microphone side down, and gently tapped the iPod on the tabletop. I had to do this twice in order for it to work properly again.

Just made a Skype test phone call and the Ipod mic works fine. Interestingly enough, I too have had this iPod for just less than a year. It was working fine two weeks ago...I guess I have dirty pockets this week.

Hope that helps.

Aug 16, 2011 6:03 AM in response to Igtswag

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! i had an ipod touch 4g i used for about 2 weeks and it was great quality then all of a sudden i got this wierd noise and i couldnt hear my voice even if i screamed well barely hear my voice. i spent 2 and a half hours on the phone with customer service and that didnt help. so i drove all the way 30 miles to the nearest apple store got a brand new one and it has the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 20, 2011 8:15 AM in response to Igtswag

Fix!

I had the same problem. I would hear but it was very low.it's a tell tale sighn that

Something is blocking the mic diaphragm. there was dust thAt

had collected and hardened up in the microphone

Hole. Very carefully scrape it out with a pin, like a thumb tack. I use

A skull candy case and it allows dust to enter and harden.

It worked greAt for me.

microphone on 4g IPod too low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.