Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery capacity

i used istat menus to check the battery status.

design capacity: 6700mAh
current capacity: 6282mAh

i bought it on Dec 2010 and only used for around 1 month. Is this normal?

Macbook Air 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 8:50 PM

15 replies

Feb 18, 2011 8:11 AM in response to czlzy

I bought mine last month. This is what I'm seeing:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: D860444059NDCQ8AU
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0301
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0162
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 6675
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6697
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 17
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 8335

If you are concerned, I'd have somebody at the genius bar take a look at it...
Sly

Feb 23, 2011 6:04 PM in response to slyguy_28

Got mine the beginning of Dec. Here's mine:
Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: D86047300H3DCQ8AL
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0301
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0162
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4624
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6725
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 44
Amperage (mA): -869
Voltage (mV): 7797

The 6725 is actually MORE than the standard capacity of 6700 that its rated.
I'm a firm believer in running on battery until it reaches low charge then charging again.
I did this with my Black Macbook....after 4 years, still had a battery at greater than 90% capacity.
Works for me.

Cheers...

Mar 9, 2011 1:59 AM in response to Michaelworks

FWIW, I'm in a similar boat myself.
I'm seeing a design capacity of 6700mAh but my max capacity is only 6343mAh after about 10 cycles. Reconditioning it made no difference. Talking to it nicely made no difference either 😉
Spoke with AppleCare and the best they could come up with was take it to my local Apple Store or Authorized Repair Center and have them test it.
For a new machine to have a battery capacity of 94% when its just out of the box seems a bit pathetic, and I'm a bit surprised they just didn't automatically authorize a battery swap.

Mar 27, 2011 4:53 PM in response to czlzy

After reading what other people are getting as their full charge capacity, I don't feel quite so bad. It's 6461 after about 12 cycles. I'll be keeping a close eye on this number. Realistically, it shouldn't be degrading that quickly. If it does, it is probably the battery's defect. But according to Apple's own guidelines, they won't replace it as long as it holds 80% charge within 3 years? ie. It still has 80% of the battery's designed full charge capacity

Mar 29, 2011 9:31 AM in response to czlzy

Just wanted to keep others interested in this issue updated. I found that by letting the battery run down to about 60-70% instead of 20-30%, and then recharging actually raised the Full Charge Capacity. Over the last few days it has increased from what it was (see my above post) to 6543. It seemed every time I did a charge and recharge, the capacity increased. I don't know if it is because I don't let the machine run all the way down to 20-30% before recharging, but hope this info is useful for other people.

Mar 9, 2012 9:40 AM in response to tolatomeow

Just wanted to keep others interested in this issue updated. I found that by letting the battery run down to about 60-70% instead of 20-30%, and then recharging actually raised the Full Charge Capacity. Over the last few days it has increased from what it was (see my above post) to 6543. It seemed every time I did a charge and recharge, the capacity increased. I don't know if it is because I don't let the machine run all the way down to 20-30% before recharging, but hope this info is useful for other people.

The guidelines from Apple and other sources relating to these battery types suggests that deeper discharge/recharge cycles is not good for the battery and that better battery performance comes from more frequent partial discharging/recharging. That would be consistent with your recent experience.

Mar 9, 2012 10:49 AM in response to czlzy

Remember,

When iStat reports a default "design capacity", it is NOT the original capacity of YOUR battery (unless we have a rare coincidence). It only represents the "book" specified maximum capability for the model of your battery. It's a good idea to reset the "design capacity" to the original capacity of your system batter when first installing iStat. That way, all measurements are using the capacity capability of YOUR system as the starting benchmark.

Batteries can't ever be made so that every battery has an identical capacity when new. In fact, some batteries will actually gain capacity and some will lose capacity right from the start, depending on a myriad of factors, including use habits, manufactured capacity (not design capacity), temperature, charging habits, environmental factors, etc, etc.

Indeed, this does not in anyway preclude a defect. These batteries are supposed to retain an expected performance level within a prescribed range. You particular battery could be performing inside or outside of that range. But with the information we have here in this thread, to make a determination is strictly speculative, almost guessing.

If you suspect a problem, you should take it in to a an Authorized Service center, such as a n Apple Genius Bar to have it more completely evaluated.

Apr 5, 2012 2:34 PM in response to abakehouse

abakehouse wrote:

So if my battery, after 537 cycles (I've had it three years almost) has a capacity of 3912 when the capacity it was rated at when I bought it was 5500... I'm pretty far off the mark!!

and now the Service battery has just started up!

I'll keep you updated how the Genius bar visit tomorrow goes....

Maybe, maybe not. (as far as being reasonable). But yes, it is far below what it should be in a maintained situation.

You say three years old. I don't recall exactly, but I am pretty sure that MBA's of that vintage predate the current battery life expectancy specifications. It may be that a three year old battery with 537 cycles on THAT PARTICULAR model, may not be too outside the norm. No matter what though, I would get it replaced. Previous generation MBA's have had some battery swelling issues that Apple explained as user error, for not replacing the battery when it showed reason to do so.

Jul 29, 2015 9:54 AM in response to czlzy

Serial Number: D8622820639DGDLBQ

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 406

Hardware Revision: 2

Cell Revision: 158

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 2301

Fully Charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6495

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 494

Amperage (mA): 3129

Voltage (mV): 11671

My Cycle count is exceptionally high by the battery capacity is about 95%. Will this impact my battery life?

Battery capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.