Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6 or 8 DIMMS in 2010 Mac Pro Dual Processor?

I have to upgrade the RAM in my 2010 12 core Mac Pro, and wondered if I could get a little guidance.

My understanding was that these systems use a triple channel memory controller, which means you get optimum performance with 3 or 6 DIMMS (I currently have 6). This being the case, can anyone perhaps answer the following questions:

1. Is this definitely the case, or might these systems use a dual channel memory controller (I've read this recently)?

2. If they're definitely using a triple channel memory controller, will the memory speed drop from 1333 MHz to 1066MHz if I install 8 DIMMS instead of 6 (all the same size/spec)?

3. If I go this route, what's the real world effect of the memory running at 1066MHz compared to 1333MHz? Are we talking significantly different levels of performance (like 5-10% plus) or would the difference be more negligible? The system is used exclusively for music, running Logic Pro (64bit) and lots of very large sample libraries, with a fair bit of disk streaming.

Many thanks in advance for any help, feedback, information or opinions.

Jules

<Edited by Host>

Mac Pro 12 Core, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 24GB Ram

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 12:48 AM

7 replies

Feb 17, 2011 2:11 AM in response to Trailerman

Hi Trailerman,

You are correct in your understanding that the 2009 and 2010 Mac pros use a triple channel memory controller - memory slots 3&4 and 7&8 share the same channel.

However, in general there is only a very small decrease in performance using all 8 memory slots:
http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MacProWestmere-Memory.html

A few applications, Photoshop CS5 in particular, will use all the available memory up to the maximum 64GB, but I am not familiar with Logic Pro or any audio software, because I use my system mainly for photo editing, digital imaging and colour printing up to A2 size.

If all the memory modules you install are 1333MHz, then your memory speed will not drop to 1066 MHz.

In my opinion you cannot have too much memory, but obviously cost is a major factor. If you start off with however many 8GB modules (in pairs) are within your budget now, then you can always add more (in pairs) in the future.

If I could afford to, I would upgrade to 64GB RAM, purely for Photoshop CS5, but when I upgraded from the original 6GB of Apple RAM, in November 2009, 2GB was the largest capacity sold by Kingston, and there was a lot of negative feedback at that time about the recently introduced 4GB modules from OWC and Crucial - in fact the latter's 4GB modules were still incompatible with some Mac pros as recently as a couple of months ago.

However, I find that 16GB (8 x 2GB Kingston RAM) is more than adequate for my general requirements.

From personal experience I can thoroughly recommend the Kingston brand, but at the moment they do not sell anything larger than 4GB modules, and so, if you decide to max out your memory, then I would recommend importing 8GB DIMMs from OWC.

I have used OWC on a couple of occasions, and both times I received the goods within 2 days via Federal Express, who then invoiced me for the VAT element plus a £10.00 Advancement Fee.

Lloyd Chambers' Mac Performance Guide is biased towards photography, and includes only a limited performance guide with Apple Logic Studio:
http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MacProWestmere-LogicStudio.html

Possibly you are already aware of this website, but I will include it just in case you are not, because it has 50 pages of feedback from Logic users:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/371545-logic-pro-multicore-benchm arktest.html

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Bill

Feb 17, 2011 6:43 AM in response to Biltan-Wales

In my opinion you cannot have too much memory, but obviously cost is a major factor. If you start off with however many 8GB modules (in pairs) are within your budget now, then you can always add more (in pairs) in the future.

I do not think pairs are needed for a Mac Pro 2009 and later.

What you do need to consider is that most 8GB DIMMs do not play nice with any other sizes, so making the jump to any 8GB DIMMs requires you to dump all your smaller DIMMs. So if you think you will EVER move to 8GB DIMMs, the suggestion is to make that leap immediately, but install fewer than the optimum three modules. Mac Performance guide (cited above) says the real-world penalty for two modules instead of the optimum three is under 4 percent, and the penalty for four is even smaller.

Feb 17, 2011 7:39 AM in response to Biltan-Wales

Many thanks for the advice guys.

Sounds like memory speed/bandwidth should not have a significant impact on performance, anwill most likely be outweighed by the additional snappiness you tend to get when OS X is not having to page stuff in and out of RAM (I checked those links you posted Bill).

I've ordered an additional 2 sticks of 4GB from Crucial to go with the existing 6 sticks of 4GB (also from Crucial and the same spec), so hopefully this will see me good.

Thanks again.

Jules

Feb 17, 2011 8:29 AM in response to Trailerman

Hi Jules,

I think you have made the right decision going for 32GB RAM instead of 24GB.

However, it's a shame that you had already ordered your original 6 x 4GB from Crucial, instead of buying the Kingston brand, because, as I stated in my earlier post "their 4GB modules were still incompatible with some Mac Pros as recently as a couple of months ago".

See:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12586929#12586929

Hopefully their 1333MHz modules for the Westmere Mac Pro are better than their 1066MHZ ones for the Nehalem Mac Pro, but only time will tell.

Best of luck!

Bill

PS

The reason I always recommend the Kingston brand is that their "System Specific" memory for Mac Pros is made to Apple specifications, including thermal sensors.

I have yet to find anything on either the UK or USA Crucial websites stating that their modules for 2009/2010 Mac Pros have thermal sensors, which possibly means that they do not.

Message was edited by: Biltan-Wales

Feb 17, 2011 8:49 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

******************************************************************************** *************************
I do not think pairs are needed for a Mac Pro 2009 and later.
******************************************************************************** *************************

I was recommending OWC 8GB modules and I quote from their website:
"*8GB Module sets require that all installed modules be of the same kind OWC 8GB module".

As Jules has a 12-Core Mac Pro, which has a total of 8 memory slots (4 for each processor), that is why I recommended buying 8GB modules in pairs.

So one pair would be installed in memory slots 1&5, and any additional pairs in 2&6, 3&7, 4&8.

Hope that clarifies what I was trying to get across.

Regards,

Bill

Sep 26, 2011 10:48 PM in response to Biltan-Wales

Mac Pro 2009 and 2010 both support triple channel. RAM need not be installed in pairs, and optimum performance is gained by installing in threes. However, as the link to macperformanceguide above points out, the performance gain of three DIMMs over two, is marginal.

You can happily install in pairs or triples, or add singles to make pairs or triples (eg 2+1 or 3+1). The recommendation for larger (8GB+) is to use identical DIMMs. The memory should be installed first in slots 1 + 2, then 1+2+3, but for 4 DIMMs, a pair in each bank so 1+2 and 5+6, and then for 6, 1+2+3 and 5+6+7. For 8,

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4433

The cool thing is, if you get it wrong, on a reboot the Mac will tell you which slots you should have used.

6 or 8 DIMMS in 2010 Mac Pro Dual Processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.