Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Macbook to stream videos onto my LCD HDTV

I'd like to stream Netflix movies from my computer to watch on my LCD HDTV.
I have a 2007 macbook 2,1 model No. A1181. It comes with a mini DVI port. My LCD HDTV is a 26" SANYO model No. DP26640 which comes with a PC Input that looks like VGA. I read that HDMI provides better picture than VGA and my TV has HDMI ports but I don't know if I can use those to connect the TV to my macbook. I would like the best picture quality possible without overscan. Can you tell me 1) which of the two VGA or HDMI would provide the better picture. 2) Will an HDMI connection cause overscan? If an HDMI connection is indeed possible providing a better picture than with VGA and without overscan then 3) Which cable(s) would I need to get picture as well as audio from my TV.
If an HDMI connection is not recommended then which cable(s) including audio cables (please be specific as I don't know much about general cable terms) would I need for the VGA connection(s)?
I'm looking for the simplest way to do this using if possible the least number of cables, adaptors etc... to obtain the best possible picture and audio for viewing streaming movies.
I appreciate any and all help possible
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Macbook 2,1

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 2:49 AM

4 replies

Feb 17, 2011 8:32 AM in response to Not tech Savvy

Welcome to Apple Discussions!
Your TV only supports 720p. So while great for playing DVDs, it isn't that great as a monitor for the computer which would be limited to less than 1024 x 768 in a progressive mode. That said, you want a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Mini-DVI-Adapter-6ft-Macintosh/dp/B001H0REVK

or this one:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/mini-dvi-to-hdmi.html

Either one you can add a simple HDMI to HDMI cable to that will offer you as long a cable as you need between Mac & TV. Mind you, you aren't "Streaming" to the TV. Streaming implies the video playback is being transmitted in packets over time over a network at a regular interval. While it is happening from the internet to your computer, the computer is just representing live what it sees to the TV.

Using Macbook to stream videos onto my LCD HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.