Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open and read an OUTLOOK saved .msg eMail?

In the Windows world at work - there are some files which are actually eMails in Outlook on Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. But when I take the individual file.msg and try to open it, nothing. (If I change .msg to .txt I can see some of the message, but lots of garbage, too.

I have OUTLOOK on a 30 day trial (with MS Office 2011) - but can't seem to open the message with that either - it goes into the attachments area and won't open.

What can I do to read these messages? I have an entire folder of them and it would be nice to be able to read them on my Mac instead of going back to the office windows machine. (When I double-click on these files when on a Windows Vista computer with MS Office 2007 and Outlook installed, it just opens Outlook and the message is there. But on my Mac, it opens a new message in Outlook for Mac and then puts this entire message in the attached document area).

Thanks for any comments!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Thursday 17 February 2011

MacBook Pro-13" (2010) PBG4-12" (2005) eMac (2005) G4733 (2001), Mac OS X (10.6.6), MacOnly since 1989 (Still run my Mac SE on 6.0.4)

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply
14 replies

Feb 20, 2011 3:50 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

With help from the 2 replies, I found this: http://download.cnet.com/mac/element-twentysix/3260-20_4-10099352.html

While you can trial it to see if it can open your .msg file; to really take advantage of the power of this program *OutlookMSG Viewer*, you need to invest the $7.95 - then you have full formatted text in a MAIL message (which you can save or not in your INbox or other MAILbox) - plus full attachments - it is JUST SUPER!!! User uploaded file If this helps you to open just one critical Outlook .msg message then it pays for itself immediately. Batch translating etc. etc. - works perfectly -

http://www.element26.net/ is the parent company's main website - you have to search a bit to find out just how to pay for it - but that is very fine once you find it - super fast, receipt, invoice, manual on-line (which I copied in pdf to my OutlookMSG Viewer Folder.

Thanks for the fast replies - I thought I'd never read these files-- but now PERFECT User uploaded file

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Sunday 20 February 2011

Nov 11, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Stephen Schulte2

To add to this thread as this could be useful to some. So I have multiple boxes running various versions of OS X and this is relevant for those using Yosemite OS X 10.10.5 (14F1021) and Microsoft Office 2011 version 14.5.7 (151005) on which I had issue opening.msg files. My resolution was updating my java to use jdk-8u65-macosx-x64 and installing MSGViewer-1.9 which now enables me on that box to view these type of messages in original format (does include any attachements or imbedded files or images). Hope this info help some of the users.

Sep 2, 2016 3:28 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

Hi Stephen,

I will recommend you to convert all your .msg files to .eml extension by using a free or paid solution. Later you can open EML file type with MAC Outlook 2011, Apple Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird etc. MailsDaddy MSG Viewer Pro is also capable to convert multiple MSG files to EML format. You should have a look: http://www.mailsdaddy.com/free-msg-viewer/

How to open and read an OUTLOOK saved .msg eMail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.