Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 under bootcamp for MacOS X 10.6.6

Running under windows 7 I can not get a hash key. Have read various posts that say Ctrl-Alt-3 should do it and have even downloaded Windows Layout Creator 1.4 and loaded the Apple UK keyboard layout that says Ctrl-Alt-3 should work but it does not. I am using a MacBook Pro and neither the internal keyboard nor the full external USB mac keyboard (Apple UK) that I use give in a hash in Windows 7 under bootcamp. Under Mac OS option-3 works fine.

If anyone has figured out how to get the hash key working under Windows 7 (bootcamp) with an Apple-UK keyboard, please let me know.

TIA

MacBook Pro (15" 2.8G Intel Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 1:44 PM

Stumbled across it by accident. On both my internal and external keyboard I can get a hash ###### dah dah! by pressing the key three to the right of the "l" key. It has a vertical bar on the top (shifted position) and a backslash on the bottom and is immediately to the left of the enter key.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2011 1:44 PM in response to arb70sok

Stumbled across it by accident. On both my internal and external keyboard I can get a hash ###### dah dah! by pressing the key three to the right of the "l" key. It has a vertical bar on the top (shifted position) and a backslash on the bottom and is immediately to the left of the enter key.

Aug 23, 2011 6:47 AM in response to arb70sok

I've recently installed Windows 7 onto my 2011 MacBook Air. The only thing that was a problem was the keyboard mapping for my UK keyboard. A number of the punctuation keys were in the wrong place (e.g. the @ and the " were swapped). I found this older post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2045220?answerId=9652475022#9652475022 which I followed and that seems to have put all my keys in the correct places.

Of course, I can't now find the # key because there isn't a hash key on the keyboard. I guess I can use charmap in Windows 7 but that's clunky, but are there any other ways?

There's probably a way to amend the file from the post above so when I've got a few minutes spare I'll take a closer look at that too.

Apr 10, 2012 8:51 AM in response to arb70sok

Having just pulled my hair out taking advice from many pundits about how to get the hash key under bootcamp with an English Mac Keyboard selection I found that the advice from bl_ndp_lot worked perfectly; namely Ctrl+Alt+3 BUT USING Alt ON RIGHT SIDE OF THE KEYBOARD ONLY. Why the two Alt buttons appear to have different functions only Apple can explain. I was also surprised given the large number of internet queries concerning the missing hash that the Apple helpline (normally excellent) were not able to help, instead of passing it off as a 'Windows Problem' when clearly it is an issue with the Mac Bootcamp Keyboard Driver. I also think after many years of the 'Hash Problem' it is time for Apple to put a hash key on the keyboard (and whilst at it a DEL key would also be useful)😕

Jan 28, 2016 9:14 AM in response to frank hayes

Totally agree with your points about Apple's Keyboard! Why would they put ± and § yet not # !?

I can tell everyone what I've just done to make my Bootcamped life SO much easier, which is simply to use an external PC keyboard when working in Windows.

You have to install both the UK (Apple) keyboard driver, and the normal UK keyboard driver, then you use the ENG switch in the system tray to switch between them, depending on what keyboard you're using (I'm not sure, but I wonder if more modern keyboards would make the switch automatically).

I was getting so ****** off with screwing up the modifier keys and generally wreaking havoc in Windows because of Mac muscle memory; using an external keyboard is the answer - it just feels so much more natural, and I mistakes are a thing of the past.

Windows 7 under bootcamp for MacOS X 10.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.